Technics SL220 no audio

turning japanese
mrbedrock

Technics SL220 no audio

Post by mrbedrock » 26 Jun 2017 04:15

I use my Technics SL220 on a fairly regular basis. Today I put on an album, it started spinning, but no audio. I changed the jacks to different inputs on my amp, but still no sound. I put on a different cartridge and still no sound. I pulled the cover off the bottom to make sure a wire wasn't broken coming from the tone arm or the cable that goes to the amp. Everything is still soldered tight. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
mrbedrock

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL220 no audio

Post by musicmn » 26 Jun 2017 18:49

Hi, to find this kind of fault you need a digital volt meter to check for continunity. Check all the rca cables from the solder connection to each end. If you don't know how they are layed out here's how they go. On the circuit board the red cable is the center pin of the red rca plug. The bare wire next to that one soldered with the green tonearm wire is the outer shield of the red rca plug. The white rca cable is the center pin on the white rca plug. The bare wire next to that one soldered to the blue/black wire from the tonearm is the outer shield of the white rca cable. Set the meter to 2000 ohms, what you want is 000 on the mete. But a 001 - 003 is ok. If you get no reading on any cable then you can either replace the cables or cut off the rca plugs strip the coating off the wire and check each cable again. If the cables are good then you can buy new rca ends and solder them on. You should also check the tonearm wires and even the head shell wires for continunity. Using a meter is really the only way to find these kind of faults. And it's a good way to find out if the turntable is causing this issue or the equipment you are using. I hope this helps.

mrbedrock

Post by mrbedrock » 27 Jun 2017 10:26

Thank you so kindly musicmn! I do have a multimeter and will check them as you say, probably later this week. You did a great job of explaining and I certainly appreciate it.

mrbedrock

Vinylgirlfl
United States of America

Post by Vinylgirlfl » 20 Jun 2019 06:08

I’m wondering how you made out with all of that wonderful information? 😊

I’m having the same issue.