Technics SL-Qx200 help Please

turning japanese
Theneilo

Technics SL-Qx200 help Please

Post by Theneilo » 13 Jun 2017 01:00

Hello Everyone.Neil here from Newcastle in the UK,My first post being a Newbie
Although I am a seasoned 14yr forum poster my passion for that term is Seiko/Citizen Dive watches.
I have however just recently got back into (as most people my age seem to be) vinyl Listening.

I do love my Music and spent small fortunes over the years on Hifi and Speakers but mainly listened to either My CD players (I have 4),Minidisc players(I have 5) or my Marantz DCC machine.

However I have at 52yrs old got the Vinyl bug back and purchased a mint 1984 Technics SL-QX200 fully working which I have heard is a good deck but needs a Stylus and maybe a cartridge but I don't want cheap and cheerful so advice on what I need
Will be much appreciated as I have not a clue on the models I hear about like ortofon and Audio Technica.

My other purchase is the same deck SL-QX200 sold as faulty for £20 GBP which has no Dust cover no stylus or cartridge,it powers on but the Platter spins really fast apparently hence sold as faulty which I am hoping I can
Repair or get repaired? yet again advice on that problem would be appreciated.

Great to be here Sirs and Madams and I hope my Newbie questions are not stretching the friendships too soon.

I look forward to your help and advice and whether I've wasted my ££££ on both turntables or did I purchase ok?

Neilo.

VinylDan1
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-Qx200 help Please

Post by VinylDan1 » 13 Jun 2017 05:03

The QX200 and QX300 were the best P-Mount tables Technics made. I have a QX300, which is the same as yours just with the addition of repeat. I have an older cart on mine, a AT VS215EP with a nice NOS AT132EP stylus on it. Very nice sound. As for something readily available, T4p carts are still made by Audio Technica, Grado, and Shure. Ortofon had the OMP which is out of production but still available. One of those with a STY20 or 30 stylus would be top notch as far as P-Mount goes, pricey as well. I would look into the Shure M92e, the AT92ECD, or the AT311EP depending on what is available on your side of the Atlantic. I have an AT311EP and it is very good for the price, and I also have a Grado Prestige Green1 that I didn't really like as much. I would like to try the Shure one day. As for the speed issue I would look into the pitch controls. Other than that I'm not really sure.

Theneilo

Post by Theneilo » 13 Jun 2017 17:44

VinylDan that's fantastic help and Advice.I will look into what's available here in the UK but I am sure I could still import a cartridge and stylus if need be.

As for the Sick one well that's on its way so I will look into its problem when it lands.i also need the dust cover for it which may be another headache to solve.

I know grado and Shute as I have a pair of each headphones but never bought their cartridges or stylus.Audio Technica seems to be a big seller here but I do not know enough about any of them to comment.

Thanks Again Dan.much appreciated.

VinylDan1
United States of America

Post by VinylDan1 » 13 Jun 2017 20:39

Anytime! Love to help out fellow Technics. I'd definitely investigate the pitch controls then go from there. Dust cover might not be that hard, you can use one off of most the Technics P-mount tables. The Grado was too laid back and not detailed enough to me. Some like it's warm sound though. It depends on what you like, and what you listen too. I like the detail and high end clarity of the ATs. Shure is supposed to be in the middle.

Nilrey

Re: Technics SL-Qx200

Post by Nilrey » 03 Dec 2017 23:10

Hi Neil, I picked up a QX200 this year too, put a Audio Technica AT300P (readily available in the UK, Ebay for example) cartridge on it, plugged into a simple budget setup (unbranded preamp, Cambridge Audio AM1, Q Acoustics 2020i) and I was blown away!! After owning SL1200 and other Technics with Shures, Ortofons and other ATs my music sings more with this one! I hope you are enjoying yours!

yarvelling
England

Post by yarvelling » 27 Sep 2018 20:28

Very late to this conversation... but I've just acquired an SL-QX200 as well...
It was very dirty when I got it, but for £115 I wasn't going to complain... 8)
Got it home and cleaned it up with some anti-bacterial cloths, etc (well it had spent about 20 years in a bag up an attic!!). The strobe shows that it is absolutely perfect on it's quartz-locked speed, and the platter spins beautifully! It is absolutely brilliant, and hold speed perfectly, and sounds amazing when used with my Shure M92E cartridge.... it equals my Rega RP1 easily, and maybe gets a bit more detail and image stability too; a real sense of 'PRaT', even over the Rega!
The only issue is that the manual cueing lever doesn't work, although the auto-return is fine. I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical misalignment issue, which I'll look into on my next days off from work.... but as someone here mentioned that this is one of the best Technics P-Mount turntables: I can easily agree.... I've not even had a chance to fully service/clean mine yet (or fix the cueing), and it's sound quality is still just SO good! Speed stability - even having been just stuck in a plastic bag and shoved into an attic 20 years ago - is as good as Technics Quartz-Lock direct drive ever was!
So, I guess to anyone looking to buy one of these now fairly 'rare' decks, just go ahead!! Stick a Shure M92E in it and enjoy! :D

yarvelling
England

Post by yarvelling » 21 Oct 2018 21:44

Just as a follow-up, after quite some awkward inspections into the arm mechanism, I finally solved the issue of the cueing problems that I mentioned in my last post..... this turntable also sounds pretty amazing with an AT-311 elliptical p-mount cartridge! ;-)
Ss for the OP's comments about "running fast", then that may need a qualified repair tech. to replace certain components on the circuit boards (unless you are up to the task...). If you get it working correctly, it will be a fabulous sounding turntable (dependant on cartridge used ;-) ).

NeilJL
Great Britain

Post by NeilJL » 02 Feb 2019 20:16

Just been reading through this thread as just recently picked up a SL-QX200 myself, for the grand sum of £25! Plus 160 mile round trip. Very clean, stored in original box and from what I can tell is in perfect working order. Was in sellers attic for a good few years. Could do with a new stylus but not sure if to replace the original cartridge too. The AT311 sounds good for a reasonable price. Neil L

RedRover68

Post by RedRover68 » 16 Jun 2019 14:44

Oops, looks like I stumbled into a great deal this morning at a garage sale. Paid 15 EUR for a SL-QX200 with some corrosion on the aluminium parts, but flawless dust cover and in working order according to the seller...
If I understand you guys right, this should be a lot better than the SL-B210 's I have had for some time ?