Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

turning japanese
Post Reply
audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2123
Joined: 11 Feb 2010 06:48
Location: Milwaukee ,Wi. USA

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by audiopile » 06 Mar 2017 21:53

What are you using for a phono pre-amp ? Are you using the stock cables from the new table into the phono MM input ? The Grado is insensitive to capacitive loading - but might sound better if input impedance is reduced to somewhere between 10kOhm and 33 kOhm ? The Shure and technics carts will be affected by capacitance - nice thing about even HOMC is they don't care much about capacitance.

Oak244
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Mar 2017 06:16

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by Oak244 » 07 Mar 2017 05:06

I have a SL-M2 I bought years ago, but just recently got a new Cartridge and fired up the table for the first time. I bought the AT92 Type Pmount Cartridge w/JICO Brand Shibata Needle from Turntable Needles and it sounds great! My problem is the Cueing does not work, nor does it auto return. The manual states if I remove the Rubber stopper and move the arm inward I should see a screw and adjust it. However I have spent a few hours looking for the screw and can't find it. I have attached pics of the bottom in hopes people can tell me if its been gutted or I need to look elsewhere.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Toreaso ... n.jpg.html

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Toreaso ... sort=3&o=0

allaboutmusic
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jul 2016 09:10

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by allaboutmusic » 07 Mar 2017 08:25

audiopile wrote:What are you using for a phono pre-amp ? Are you using the stock cables from the new table into the phono MM input ? The Grado is insensitive to capacitive loading - but might sound better if input impedance is reduced to somewhere between 10kOhm and 33 kOhm ? The Shure and technics carts will be affected by capacitance - nice thing about even HOMC is they don't care much about capacitance.
Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I am using the MM Phone line of my Denon DRA F103 with the stock cable yes. The cable is fixed to the table so I can't use any phone cables unless change that - which I am not enough of a audio engineer though. So I don't know if I can get down with the impedance.

I had the feeling the tone arm height, tracking force and antiscating all have much more impact on the other cartridges than on the Ortofon. But it works with MC so I am happy. I just know that the Sure and Technics as well as the Grado can do much better.

ren2112
senior member
senior member
Posts: 279
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 02:33

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by ren2112 » 07 Mar 2017 12:58

Morning Oak244. I have an SLM-2 and it doesn't do an auto return. just a cue up at the end of the table. I've had mine from day 1 and it never did auto return. As far as the sticky cue...there is a low tech fix on youtube you may want to try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjD1kpnUKAE

Good luck with the deck

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2123
Joined: 11 Feb 2010 06:48
Location: Milwaukee ,Wi. USA

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by audiopile » 07 Mar 2017 16:23

Actually good news that you have the stock cables - these are relatively low capacitance designed for the purpose - reason I've asked is I've run into folks who have "upgraded?" cables from stock form and the better/more expensive cables were very high capacitance -which is not what you want for MM phono. If you want to try something out that works reasonably well with Prestige series Grado's : 1.) get a pair of Y-plugs with two female RCA's to a single RCA male. 2.) Have someone make up some male RCA plugs with 100kOhm resistors running between the center pin and the shield of the male plugs. 3.) turn off your amp - plug the male end of the y-plugs into your phono input ,plug your turntable into one of the female RCA's on each channel and the 100kOhm loading plug RCA into the remaing female RCA. You now have the Grado loaded at about 32kOhm. Want to try mid 20kOhm range - just substitute 47kOhm loading plug for the 100kOhm plug. BTW - you can only go down in resistance using this scheme - never up. Once you have loading plugs they just come in handy - installed a Decca London cart for the first time in 35 years or so last night - in went the Y-plugs with 100kOhm loading resistors to get that cart working into it's optimum 33 kOhm load (OK -only close to).

Oak244
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Mar 2017 06:16

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by Oak244 » 07 Mar 2017 16:34

ren2112 wrote:Morning Oak244. I have an SLM-2 and it doesn't do an auto return. just a cue up at the end of the table. I've had mine from day 1 and it never did auto return. As far as the sticky cue...there is a low tech fix on youtube you may want to try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjD1kpnUKAE

Good luck with the deck

Thanks I saw this and was going to give it a try.

Oak244
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Mar 2017 06:16

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by Oak244 » 09 Mar 2017 15:11

Hi Everyone. Well I got the Deoxit D5 and sprayed it under the Cueing button. I came back 5 minutes later and heard a clicking noise I did not hear before but nothing happened. So I also sprayed where the black plastic bar that lifts and lowers the arm. At first still noting, but I pushed the bar down by hand a few times and now it works!

I did that last night, and it sat overnight. This morning its still working, so I say its fixed!

ren2112
senior member
senior member
Posts: 279
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 02:33

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by ren2112 » 09 Mar 2017 15:16

good to know some pointers on youtube actually work. :)

allaboutmusic
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jul 2016 09:10

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by allaboutmusic » 10 Mar 2017 08:49

Dear audiophile

Thanks for the comprehensive instruction - although I have to admit I don't quite get it. So it would very likely end in a disaster if I did it. would it be able to sketch it out somehow?

On a different note: I was always thinking of getting a record clamp but hesitated for the rather doubtful promises. Now I came across a easy alternative to see if it does something to your sound: just use a 9 mm foldback paper clip. I have to say it sounds really good and does something to the clarity in the lower frequencies which then don't any longer overload the higher bands leading to an improved overall sound. Amazingly cheap tuning

Cheers
Frank

johnny q
member
member
Posts: 131
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 20:53

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by johnny q » 12 Mar 2017 15:27

Oak244 wrote:I have a SL-M2 I bought years ago, but just recently got a new Cartridge and fired up the table for the first time. I bought the AT92 Type Pmount Cartridge w/JICO Brand Shibata Needle from Turntable Needles and it sounds great! My problem is the Cueing does not work, nor does it auto return. The manual states if I remove the Rubber stopper and move the arm inward I should see a screw and adjust it. However I have spent a few hours looking for the screw and can't find it. I have attached pics of the bottom in hopes people can tell me if its been gutted or I need to look elsewhere.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Toreaso ... n.jpg.html

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Toreaso ... sort=3&o=0
I have been on the fence about that one and I probably should have purchased it because they recently raised the price like, $60. Anyway - I am always leary about aftermarket Pmount styli not conforming to T4P specs. Would you happen to know if the Shibata is the appropriate length and all that? I assume it is because you say the sound is good.

johnny q
member
member
Posts: 131
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 20:53

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by johnny q » 12 Mar 2017 15:29

Question.....

Can someone tell me what symptoms start happening when the Linear Tracking Tonearm mechanism needs attention? I.E. Sticky lube, belt needs replacement. What specifically starts happening - arm won't advance? Poor tracking? Sibilance? What happens? :D

Oak244
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Mar 2017 06:16

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by Oak244 » 15 Mar 2017 21:44

I may be writing for the same reason. I got my SL-M2 to cue properly, but now the arm will not play the whole record. It gets stuck in random places about half way to 3/4 of the way through the album, and then just sticks and repeats, repeats, ect until I lift the needle. I have tried lubing up the gears, took the bottom off and did not see any issues, so now looking for advise to troubleshoot from here. Thanks!

Oak244
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Mar 2017 06:16

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by Oak244 » 15 Mar 2017 21:51

johnny q wrote:
Oak244 wrote:I have a SL-M2 I bought years ago, but just recently got a new Cartridge and fired up the table for the first time. I bought the AT92 Type Pmount Cartridge w/JICO Brand Shibata Needle from Turntable Needles and it sounds great! My problem is the Cueing does not work, nor does it auto return. The manual states if I remove the Rubber stopper and move the arm inward I should see a screw and adjust it. However I have spent a few hours looking for the screw and can't find it. I have attached pics of the bottom in hopes people can tell me if its been gutted or I need to look elsewhere.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Toreaso ... n.jpg.html

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Toreaso ... sort=3&o=0
I have been on the fence about that one and I probably should have purchased it because they recently raised the price like, $60. Anyway - I am always leary about aftermarket Pmount styli not conforming to T4P specs. Would you happen to know if the Shibata is the appropriate length and all that? I assume it is because you say the sound is good.
Yeah I would say it fits fine. Everything sounds Great. Here are some pics for you.. This is My SL-M2 with AT92 Type Pmount Cartridge w/JICO Brand Shibata Needle.
Attachments
20170315_174553_resized[1].jpg
AT92 Type Pmount Cartridge w/JICO Brand Shibata Needle
(943.48 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
20170315_174547_resized[1].jpg
AT92 Type Pmount Cartridge w/JICO Brand Shibata Needle
(754.9 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Oak244
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Mar 2017 06:16

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by Oak244 » 15 Mar 2017 23:36

Oak244 wrote:I may be writing for the same reason. I got my SL-M2 to cue properly, but now the arm will not play the whole record. It gets stuck in random places about half way to 3/4 of the way through the album, and then just sticks and repeats, repeats, ect until I lift the needle. I have tried lubing up the gears, took the bottom off and did not see any issues, so now looking for advise to troubleshoot from here. Thanks!

Well I think I got it figured out. The metal plate that slides back and forth with the arm seemed to be rubbing a bit. I tried pushing it down a little and lubing the plate. I just played the same record I had been trying and it played all the way through this time. Problem fixed.. I hope! Now to get the Schiit Mani and a new amp. Thinking Conrad Johnson or Classe to go with my Thiel Speakers.

joern
junior member
junior member
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Jun 2004 15:46
Location: Germany

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by joern » 18 Mar 2017 18:44

galeau wrote:@joern: By any chance, is your MA1 the one w/ the replaceable headshell (the one w/ the screw slot on top of its connecting socket)? If yes, does it have a parts number?
Sorry I've been out of touch, obviously.
In case it's still relevant, there is no part number on the headshell, I'm sorry I couldn't help.
And in the service manual, only the version without headshell is mentioned.

Post Reply