Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

turning japanese
sasi

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by sasi » 11 Jun 2019 07:56

Hi all,
I am baffled with the following challenge. How can I adjust the VTF on the SL-M3? I do know I need to turn the screw on top of the tonearm and it does work but the challenge is to be able to use a digital scale and rest the stylus on it and measure.
The only way to bring the tonearm on top of the platter is to have the platter spinning. The only way to release the tonearm and have it lowered is to bring it over the platter. So it's a catch 22 situation.

There is no reference about VTF adjustment in the operators manual and also in the service manual.

I'm sure there has to be an easy trick but I can't figure it out.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 12 Jun 2019 03:53

My guess is that the SL-M3 assumes use of a T4P compliant/spec cart. These all weighed the same and tracked at 1.25 grams . A couple of my Pmount tables offer VTF adjustment -but usually using a slider that allows you to go from 1.25 to 1.5 grams -that's it. The non-linear /gimbal n counterweight arms offer a bit more leeway in setting VTF. As long as you have a known T4P standard cart- install it and try it out . My guess (and that's all it is) is the adjustment is over a small range of VTF's . Couple of ya'll have these tables - so -anyone know what the range +/- is for that VTF bolt ?

sasi

Post by sasi » 12 Jun 2019 19:27

Judging from the give of the stylus (an Ortofon OMP) it must be significant. For now, I have adjusted by ear, aiming for the lowest VTF that causes no sibilance and then a bit more.

But it is puzzling to see the adjustment screw and no way to place a scale to measure it.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 16 Jun 2019 06:35

This got me to haul the SL-M1 out of the basement - remembered it had some fault that wasn't serious and I'd never gotten to . Turns out it still doesn't run on speed when you use the pitch slider -but is dead nutz on speed when the lock button is engaged . Decided to look at the spindle thrust plate and predictably it had worn down to metal on metal contact. Installed one of KAB's new replacement "plastic/teflon?" thrust plate assemblies Note : There is a slot in the metal plate this fits onto -so the tab on the spindle support will still only fit one way.There's no space for the beeswax . The spindle it's self was pretty darn sticky -so pulled C-clip-cleaned it and the hole it rides thru/on off with 91% alchy and relubbed with Technics oil. Installed a AT-152MLP with a VM540ML stylus (this weighs 6.55 grams total with flip down stylus guard)-set it up for 2 Gram VTF and have been really enjoying it for the last few days. All the advantages of T4P with a fresh microline stylus.

SA-708

Post by SA-708 » 21 Jun 2019 16:32

sasi wrote:
11 Jun 2019 07:56
Hi all,
I am baffled with the following challenge. How can I adjust the VTF on the SL-M3? I do know I need to turn the screw on top of the tonearm and it does work but the challenge is to be able to use a digital scale and rest the stylus on it and measure.
The only way to bring the tonearm on top of the platter is to have the platter spinning. The only way to release the tonearm and have it lowered is to bring it over the platter. So it's a catch 22 situation.

There is no reference about VTF adjustment in the operators manual and also in the service manual.

I'm sure there has to be an easy trick but I can't figure it out.
Hi Sasi, it has been a while.

My SL-M3 isn't in front of me right now, but this is what I recall doing to get the turntable ready for setting the VTF.
  • Remove the cover from the arm track, to get access to the white nylon VTF adjustment screw.
  • Take off the platter mat (the aluminum platter is more level than the mat, and it makes up for the height of my digital scale).
  • Turn on the turntable.
  • Press the button to switch from automatic to manual.
  • Use the arm forward button to move the arm over the platter, which should not spin (unless you accidentally hit the Start button).
  • Use the cue button to lower and raise the arm as needed.

sasi

Post by sasi » 25 Jun 2019 14:46

b****r!!
You may be right on that. I had seen the auto/manual mode selector and really could not find a use for it. It is not mentioned in the manual but what you describe should work just fine.

Many thanks for opening my eyes.

brandijeff

Post by brandijeff » 02 Aug 2019 21:47

anyone know if the platter for the SL-M1 is model specific? the sl Q2 platter looks identical to me. Does anyone know if it is the same platter?