Technics CD - 4 Quadraphonic

turning japanese
sinned

Technics CD - 4 Quadraphonic

Post by sinned » 25 Apr 2012 03:52

Hello - hope some one in the world can help ?

I have just inherited a 1970's Technics CD-4 / Matrix/Stereo model No SS2900D and desperatley need a instruction manual cannot find any thing in Australia Panasonic Australia no help as have Panasonic america .

Hope anyone can assist willing to pay for a photocopy and postage

Thanks
Stephen...

sinned

Re: Technics CD - 4 Quadraphonic

Post by sinned » 25 Apr 2012 07:21

Fred Hi
Thanks for your quick response we are getting close but ! my system a Technics FM/AM CD-$ Stereo Console Model SS- 2900D totally intergrated unit has plug ins for 2 x Front speakers 8 Ohm and 2x rear speakers 8-16, Ohm.

Console has head phone inputs , 4 channel balance control ( joy stick ) that allows balance to be alternated LF LR RF RR it has base treble and volume control , AFD width & Depth slider controls , Matrix slider control , With control for either CD - 4 , Matrix or stereo play , CD - 4 Radar indicator , Loudness button , Tape monitor button ,Phono -FM Auto - FM Mono & AM buttons and also a Mic Volume control and Jack input
Any thoughts Fred ? or any body else ?

Cheers & thanks
Stephen...

LPfan
long player
long player

Post by LPfan » 25 Apr 2012 16:56

I do not know this amp but have a Superscope quad amp with near identical controls. Mine has a bridging switch on the rear panel, this enables the amp to play in either 10wpcX4 or 25wpcX2 mode. If this facility is present on your amp and you wish to play regular stereo material, you can select stereo on the the front panel, 2 channel mode on the rear panel, hook up a pair of speakers to the front speaker terminals and get going.

Regards,

LPfan

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 25 Apr 2012 17:42

LOL, JaS,

Now I remember....... :) The link was actually gleaned from one of f81's links posts. I was only trying to help..... :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock: #-o

Anyway, Mom was always on the cutting edge of audio in the family, one of my Uncles (her brothers) was always experimenting and would leave us their equipment........ :) ie SA-8000x.....

Perhaps a more approved link here, HFE = HiFi Engine, sister site and found at the top right of the menu, will help:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/tech ... 000x.shtml

Though it is a service manual you should be able to use as an instruction manual for your Technics console..... :-k :-k :-k :-k

Good luck.

Fred and 4 small pots were probably more reliable than a joystick.......a bit slower but similar in function.....

sinned

Post by sinned » 27 Apr 2012 13:25

Many thanks i will try the link you have suggested
again many thanks
Stephen...

sinned

Post by sinned » 15 May 2012 06:56

Thanks all but still looking i was able to find one direct reference to the SS2900D but that person has dropped off the radar all other possibilities at the moment only throw up similarities not the real McCoy if any one has any other ideas greatly appreciated - this is a rare early 1970's CD-4 quadraphonic Hi - Fi the fore-runner i am lead to believe ,to surround sound 4 .

Cheers
Stephen...

Carolus

Post by Carolus » 15 May 2012 12:30

Hi Stephen,
FYI,
I have model Technics SA-5400X (FM/AM 4 channel receiver) "operating instructions" ....
(without the two modules/units: CD4 system disc demodulator SE-504H & 4 channel cartridge EPC-450C)
If it can give a "help" ... drop me a PM,
Allez, salukes.
Karel

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 15 May 2012 14:00

Check out this previous thread:

viewtopic.php?t=34764&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Someone at the quad forum may be able to help.

Good luck.

Fred

sinned

Post by sinned » 16 May 2012 07:47

Thanks for those links everyone but still looking for a SS2900D Matsushita Electrical Company instructional manual ?

Thanks
Stephen...

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 21 May 2012 21:38

Things you need to make CD-4 work:
1) Turntable/tonearm with low capacitance wiring
2) Cartridge with response out to 45kHz...reliably
3) Alignment record to adjust the CD-4 demodulator
4) CD-4 LPs...hopefully that have not been abused (if they have been abused they will not work...period)

Now here's the gotcha...even if you get all of this stuff, it won't work reliably. CD-4 never did.

I spent a lot of money on this format back in the 1970s and it has issues. I learned the hard way what they were and they are not trivial.

How many CD-4 LPs do you currently own?. CD-4 is not a format that you can use to make 4 channels out of regular 2 channel records. That is 4 channel matrix technology not CD-4. CD-4 attempted to record a 30kHz carrier and difference channel information onto LPs and have the end-user rig playback that stuff to yield a discrete 4 channel experience.

There are more than a few gotchas involved with CD-4 and its a long time since the 1970s. Few cartridges sport Shibata stylii anymore and those that do have them have them for reasons that have nothing to do with CD-4. And the cost of replacement Shibata stylii is not for the faint of heart.

Other stylii are capable of reproducing the frequency range supporting CD-4 but you will get a blank stare if you tell a cartridge manufacturer that they need to give you your money back because their new cartridge won't work with CD-4 LPs.

That arguement won't work. Nobody, no where makes cartridge for use with CD-4 anymore. The format died 40 years ago. I owned 3 different demodulators for CD-4 and the last of them, the top of the line Technics, was the best one of the bunch and it was still a crap shoot whether CD-4 LPs would work.

And I spent a lot of money trying to make it work.

If I were you I would save my self some headaches and forget CD-4. I still have two alignment discs for CD-4 demodulator adjustment and I won't sell or give them away to anyone. I won't be the cause of anyone's pain.

Ed

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 21 May 2012 22:17

EdAInWestOC wrote:......major snippage........
If I were you I would save my self some headaches and forget CD-4. I still have two alignment discs for CD-4 demodulator adjustment and I won't sell or give them away to anyone. I won't be the cause of anyone's pain.
Ed
:D :D :D =D> =D> =D>

sinned

Post by sinned » 22 May 2012 02:00

Thanks for all the advice BUT all i seek is a manual for a Technics SS2900D so if any one has got one greatly appreciated ...

BobW12

Post by BobW12 » 07 Oct 2012 05:27

Hi Stephen,
I have a photo copy of the manual for the SS2900D if you still need one.
BobW

digitalman161

Post by digitalman161 » 15 Oct 2012 16:57

EdAInWestOC wrote:Things you need to make CD-4 work:
1) Turntable/tonearm with low capacitance wiring
2) Cartridge with response out to 45kHz...reliably
3) Alignment record to adjust the CD-4 demodulator
4) CD-4 LPs...hopefully that have not been abused (if they have been abused they will not work...period)
I recently picked up a Technics SA-8000XC receiver. I'd like to try CD-4. I have a Technics SL-23 turntable, how does one determine if my Tonearm has low capacitance? Also, a read on the quadrophonic forum that an AT440MLa is capable of those frequencies and that the MicroLine stylus should be able to play CD-4. Finally, what are you referring to in #3? A CD-4 test record or something?

Thanks.

digitalman161

Post by digitalman161 » 15 Oct 2012 18:10

Just checked my User Manual for my SL-23. Specifically states, "LOW CAPACITANCE PHONO CABLES ... They are ideal for conversion to CD-4 too."