Trackside wrote:Thanks for the info - I got similar sonic benefits from putting heatshrink on the armtube - did you damp the armtube internaly when you did this mod?
Only to the extent of slipping a length of loose fitting fabric sleeving over the wires from the headshell end.
It occurs to me that some of damping effect may well be attributable to the way I did the internal wiring. I stripped all the jacket, braid and teflon from the two twisted pairs but left them as twisted pairs for the noise rejection benefits.
This resulted in a need to carefully adjust the positioning of the slack.
The wires take a somewhat tortuous path from the PCB to their exit under the tonearm, the twisted pair configuration creates significant resistance to the turning of the arm in the bearings compared to the light and loose arrangement of the stock wires. This is mentioned on the Kabusa site in their description of the Cardas wires available, where it is noted "KAB only recomends these wires for tonearm rewiring, especially, if you are planning on tracking below 2 grams. The thicker wires below will produce greater friction which will influence arm performance at lighter tracking forces." The "thicker wires below" being the rubber jacketed one I used.
This might be overcome by separating the strands, since my main other cartridge is another fairly heavy tracking AT33 mono, I am not overly concerned and OK with the result I have. I connected the braid to the earth connection on the PCB and retained the original arm earth wire and PCB connection of that leaving the PCB in situ and clamping the new cable to it with a cable tie.
I stripped and separated the two pairs at the plug end creating a "Y" end for the phono plugs and put heatshrink over each pair, I then slipped some of the stripped braid over that and meshed it to the main braid and overlaid that with a second heatshrink and a separate piece of larger heatshrink over the join to give a reasonably sturdy end arrangement although pulling the plugs out by grabbing the wire would definitely be a "no no".
I should close by saying that what appears to be improved damping, does not account for the totality of the perceived improvement, which puts the 103 much closer to my DL-301 for resolution whilst retaining the 103 "chutzpah".
Hope this helps a little.