the home of the turntable

Technics SL-DL5

turning japanese

Technics SL-DL5

Postby philsicle » 26 Mar 2012 20:08

I have a linear tracking turntable. When the stylus sets down on the LP it starts to play. After about two seconds of sound something, don't know what takes the linear arm and drags it at a constant speed across approximately the first song. Literally drives and drags it across 1/2" and lifts it up and turns it off. Any ideas from anyone out there. Are there any linear speed adjustments that can be made? Thanks for any input. Phil
philsicle

United States of America

Re: Technics SL-DL5

Postby fscl » 26 Mar 2012 22:11

Welcome to VE.....

Ahhhh, the old Technics linear skip and dragitus..... :)

The owner's manual is here, download and this will tell you of proper operation:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/tech ... -dl5.shtml

You can download and probably refer to this service manual for reference:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/tech ... -ql5.shtml

Read through this topic, though not a DL 5 operation is the same along with proper belt etc....:

viewtopic.php?t=23432

Good luck, once properly serviced, cleaned and lubed you should end up with a working SL-DL5.... :)

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby philsicle » 27 Mar 2012 18:21

Thank you! I shall have a look! Have a great day!
philsicle

United States of America

Postby philsicle » 28 Mar 2012 00:50

hey there, i opened up the cover and checked the linear drive rope. it is intact and properly alligned. i still do noy get how to rectify the the stylus starting and then dragging over hard.
philsicle

United States of America

Postby fscl » 28 Mar 2012 01:52

philsicle wrote:hey there, i opened up the cover and checked the linear drive rope. it is intact and properly alligned. i still do noy get how to rectify the the stylus starting and then dragging over hard.

There should be a drive belt between the tonearm drive motor to the tonearm worm gear pulley. It is good that the linear drive rope is intact.

The tonearm should not droop down when the unit is not playing. There is a tonearm solenoid that defaults to lift position even with power cut.

Please review the SL-QL5 service manual.

For a quick reference with pictures of the general Technics linear tonearm drive train, download the servicing information under this turntable:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/Technics/sl-j2.shtml

You will see the drive rope, the worm and spur gear driving the drive rope and the tonearm drive motor and the rubber belt driving the worm gear pulley in the pictures.

I understand that the multiple pages on the topic "SL-7 Disassembly" may not make sense, however, take the time to read through it and try to locate the parts written about with your DL5 opened. Make sure to take lots of pictures with a digital camera with macro while disassembling the DL5 so you can make sure to refer to while reassembling.

Good luck.

Fred
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby philsicle » 28 Mar 2012 15:43

I greatly appreciate the input but maybe i have not been clear. it is not that the arm droops, it is the linear motor is acuating and pulling the arm linear wise faster that free floating on the lp. it is pulling the stylus across the grooves. it is the linear motion that is malfunctioning. does this make sense? phil
philsicle

United States of America

Postby fscl » 28 Mar 2012 16:20

Gotcha.......

In this case, it's the sensors within the tonearm giving false offset angle reading and driving the tonearm in..... :oops: :oops:

This may be as simple as an obstruction to adjusting the offset voltage.

For obstruction, just lifted the cover on my QL1, you should see a plastic piece like a "T" extending into the tonearm support. Try blasting some canned air at that area.

If that does not work, then on page 10 of 21 of the QL5 service manual you will see Figs 24 & 25. Read Step 3 and 4 and adjust accordingly. I suspect someone diddled with the adjustment screws and center position is not 1.8VDC as specified causing the tonearm to drive in thinking it is offset and not catching up with the grooves.

Good luck.

Fred
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby philsicle » 31 Mar 2012 15:29

thank you again, will take another look.
philsicle

United States of America

Return to Technics