What cartridge is on your Technics SL12xx ?

turning japanese
Magneto Serge
Great Britain

Re: What cartridge is on your Technics SL12xx ?

Post by Magneto Serge » 08 May 2019 21:59

M2 Blue since today, Excellent!

Popolos

Post by Popolos » 22 Jun 2019 18:21

I've bought my SL-1210Mk2 a few weeks ago. Played it first with a well leveled 2M Red and was enthusiastic. 3 days ago, I switched to a brand new AT-VM95SH/H. The more I play it, the more I'm falling in love with it.

chamaruco

Post by chamaruco » 22 Jun 2019 19:18

go to the vm series..and don't regret

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 23 Jun 2019 15:55

I have a Shure M447 cartridge with a JICO M55 E stylus.

I will upgrade to something better. I got the Technics 1210 MK 2 just a few days ago.

Klauskortbaek
Denmark

Post by Klauskortbaek » 25 Jun 2019 22:15

AT-VM540ML
Absolutely addictive. Highly recommended. Attractive price for outstanding performance on SL-1200GR.
Last edited by Klauskortbaek on 25 Jun 2019 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 26 Jun 2019 00:55

Klauskortbaek wrote:
25 Jun 2019 22:15
AT-VM540ML
Absolutely addictive. Highly recommended. Attractive price for outstanding performance on SL-1200GR.
Can you describe what it is about the A-T VM540ML which makes it outstanding? I only have experience with a handful of cartridges: Shure V15V-MR, Shure V15V/Jico SAS, Shure M97xE, and Ortofon 2M Red. Of those, the Shure V15V/Jico SAS seems to more smoothly present all there is in the groove, from bass to highs and everything in between. Nevertheless I've heard others say they too are liking the A-T, which makes me think maybe I should get one.

Klauskortbaek
Denmark

Post by Klauskortbaek » 06 Jul 2019 10:25

Sure. I overlooked your comment and question, sorry for that.

Bass is very responsive and articulated. Think live concert kind a bass where you really feel it as a physical thing and hearing all the small things going on at the same time.
The highs are rendered in a magical way as it is resolved endlessly but not harsh at all - only extremely detailed and airy. Midrange is smooth and layered. Vocals are nicely authoritative and focused.

Soundstage wise it has a nice reach-out-and-touch feeling as if you can lean forward into the music reaching out for precisely positioned instruments and singers in the chorus.

This enormously amount of information leaves you thinking about all the things, you probably never heard before hidden in your record collection. Even old (mistreated) records sounds impressive. It has a great sense of musicality and it does boogie to an extend that it some times forces me to stand up - trying my best to dance while still listening seriously (happens only when I am alone, it is not pretty). It may also be the 1200GR doing it’s magic, but whatever reason it makes all records sound their best and I have not yet come across one (1) single album that I did not care listening to.

If you have heard the Kiseki Blue cartridge (MC), the AT-VM540ML comes close to that. Being a MM with a microline stylus is obviously not going to make it into a higher end MC cartridge as the Kiseki Blue - but it comes close enough for the money - or less money, so to speak. That, I think, speaks for itself.

For what it is worth it tracks all the test-LPs flawlessly including the “torture” track.

As initially stated, it is absolutely addictive. I really love it.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Jul 2019 18:36

Klauskortbaek wrote:
06 Jul 2019 10:25
Sure. I overlooked your comment and question, sorry for that.

Bass is very responsive and articulated. Think live concert kind a bass where you really feel it as a physical thing and hearing all the small things going on at the same time.
The highs are rendered in a magical way as it is resolved endlessly but not harsh at all - only extremely detailed and airy. Midrange is smooth and layered. Vocals are nicely authoritative and focused.

Soundstage wise it has a nice reach-out-and-touch feeling as if you can lean forward into the music reaching out for precisely positioned instruments and singers in the chorus.

This enormously amount of information leaves you thinking about all the things, you probably never heard before hidden in your record collection. Even old (mistreated) records sounds impressive. It has a great sense of musicality and it does boogie to an extend that it some times forces me to stand up - trying my best to dance while still listening seriously (happens only when I am alone, it is not pretty). It may also be the 1200GR doing it’s magic, but whatever reason it makes all records sound their best and I have not yet come across one (1) single album that I did not care listening to.

If you have heard the Kiseki Blue cartridge (MC), the AT-VM540ML comes close to that. Being a MM with a microline stylus is obviously not going to make it into a higher end MC cartridge as the Kiseki Blue - but it comes close enough for the money - or less money, so to speak. That, I think, speaks for itself.

For what it is worth it tracks all the test-LPs flawlessly including the “torture” track.

As initially stated, it is absolutely addictive. I really love it.
Right now, I judge detail retrieval comparing LPs to CDs of same recording. This suggests my Shure V15V/Jico SAS is getting all there is in the groove to get. Crosstalk, stereo spread, dynamic range, sound stage depth are not however making me conclude my cart is better than perhaps what you are using. When I get a little money to spare I think I'll pick-up the AT-VM540ML.

Klauskortbaek
Denmark

Post by Klauskortbaek » 06 Jul 2019 20:52

Detail retrieval is important to me as well and I actually experience there is more detail in the grooves with the AT-VM540ML than with digital. The propulsive sound and airy resolution that makes every record sound great is very compelling to me, too. I’m looking forward to your future comments when you have picked it up. Very much in fact. Give it 20 hours or more. At 150 hours it climbs to its final level.

I’m using the Thorsens Stabilizer with good effect - it improves energy and definition. Looks great in blue and suits the Technics. Are you using any record weight or clamp with your SL-1200GR?

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Jul 2019 19:25

Klauskortbaek wrote:
06 Jul 2019 20:52
Detail retrieval is important to me as well and I actually experience there is more detail in the grooves with the AT-VM540ML than with digital. The propulsive sound and airy resolution that makes every record sound great is very compelling to me, too. I’m looking forward to your future comments when you have picked it up. Very much in fact. Give it 20 hours or more. At 150 hours it climbs to its final level.

I’m using the Thorsens Stabilizer with good effect - it improves energy and definition. Looks great in blue and suits the Technics. Are you using any record weight or clamp with your SL-1200GR?
I am not using a record clamp.

octavius
Slovakia

Post by octavius » 07 Jul 2019 20:49

I have ATN540ml it's good but when I compare it with my last cart MP-200 nagaoga does better sound it's more enjoyable. I don't want to say AT is bad but Nagaoka is more musical... Not always it depends on type of stylus. Micro line vs elyptic.

Klauskortbaek
Denmark

Post by Klauskortbaek » 08 Jul 2019 10:33

For sure a microline stylus is very, very sensitive to correct alignment and VTA. Small adjustments impacts the tonality big time. I had to check 3 times before I nailed the alignment myself. While the styluses of the 440ML and 540ML are identical, I understand that the former 440ML has a somewhat more agressive sound compared to the new 540ML (due to new materials used for the housing). That may or may not be the reason for yours (and mine) observations - further more we have two very different systems (and rooms), so who can tell heaven from hell? :-)

Klauskortbaek
Denmark

Post by Klauskortbaek » 12 Jul 2019 11:03

I made one more jump and bought the AT-ART9 for my SL-1200GR. I am taking it through some break-in time and will report back in a couple of weeks - that is, if you guys are interested...

octavius
Slovakia

Post by octavius » 12 Jul 2019 11:32

What are the first impressions? Does sound of ART9 has similar colour that 540ML ?

Klauskortbaek
Denmark

Post by Klauskortbaek » 12 Jul 2019 12:25

It certainly needs break-in time, and it's rendering becomes rather cloudy and dull during the first 15 hours or so. Then it starts to clear up and demonstrates that this is a special cartridge producing premium sound. It is more refined and natural sounding and the soundstage is so much more tangible and big scale. I will give it a few weeks and report back with my findings as it improves.