Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

turning japanese
Post Reply
Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 689
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by Issuesman666 » 16 Nov 2019 15:06

Ihubby wrote:
16 Nov 2019 14:43
Anyone interested in as Ortofon 2M Red at a real good price?
Why not just buy a 2M blue stylus and put it in the red's body? Then you will have a real 2M blue .The 2m blue stylus is a nude stylus.

I did this and it is well worth it .See the link below.

https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-2m-red-p-390

paddypaws
member
member
England
Posts: 122
Joined: 21 Nov 2018 23:04

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by paddypaws » 30 Nov 2019 18:57

I’ve recently restored an SL-1700 mk2, it’s really nice. Motor, arm and platter just like the SL-1210 mk2. It replaced an SL-1210 mk2, which is just as lovely but doesn’t have auto return. I don’t think I can go back to manual, no auto return at the end of the record now would annoy me. My dilemma is I love the SL-1210 mk2 but I can’t see me ever using it again. Do I keep it just in case or sell it on and let someone enjoy it? Its an absolute minter, be a shame to let it gather dust! I think the 1210 is a better looking turntable than the 1700 mk2.

Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 689
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by Issuesman666 » 30 Nov 2019 19:05

paddypaws wrote:
30 Nov 2019 18:57
I’ve recently restored an SL-1700 mk2, it’s really nice. Motor, arm and platter just like the SL-1210 mk2. It replaced an SL-1210 mk2, which is just as lovely but doesn’t have auto return. I don’t think I can go back to manual, no auto return at the end of the record now would annoy me. My dilemma is I love the SL-1210 mk2 but I can’t see me ever using it again. Do I keep it just in case or sell it on and let someone enjoy it? Its an absolute minter, be a shame to let it gather dust! I think the 1210 is a better looking turntable than the 1700 mk2.
If you can't or won't use it then sell it.

paddypaws
member
member
England
Posts: 122
Joined: 21 Nov 2018 23:04

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by paddypaws » 30 Nov 2019 19:12

I guess I’ll sell it it feels like owning a piece of turntable history. I suppose I can always buy another in the future, it’s not rare, although in new condition is rare!

Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 689
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by Issuesman666 » 30 Nov 2019 19:22

paddypaws wrote:
30 Nov 2019 19:12
I guess I’ll sell it it feels like owning a piece of turntable history. I suppose I can always buy another in the future, it’s not rare, although in new condition is rare!
After you sell it you can buy another SL 1700 MK2.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 868
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by Sterling1 » 01 Dec 2019 12:01

Ihubby wrote:
16 Nov 2019 14:43
Anyone interested in as Ortofon 2M Red at a real good price?
Keep the 2M Red and just buy the SH-4 Ortofon Headshell. It will cost about $35. It will get the cart level when tonearm is lowered onto a record. The cart can be properly aligned to the headshell in just a few minutes following Technics alignment scheme instructions.

Allyn
junior member
junior member
United States of America
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Dec 2016 21:26

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by Allyn » 05 Jan 2020 03:57

Not long ago I picked up an SL-1800MKII. The dust cover and exterior are on the rough side but under the cover is mint. I've been using it for about a month and it performs at the same level as my 1210MKII.

DesertCat
Posts: 2
Joined: 05 Sep 2013 22:48

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by DesertCat » 07 Jan 2020 09:08

Does anyone know what the overhang for the SL 1700 MKI should be? It might be time to re-calibrate it.

paddypaws
member
member
England
Posts: 122
Joined: 21 Nov 2018 23:04

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by paddypaws » 07 Jan 2020 12:01

DesertCat wrote:
07 Jan 2020 09:08
Does anyone know what the overhang for the SL 1700 MKI should be? It might be time to re-calibrate it.
Just the standard Technics 52mm overhang from the headshell washer to the stylus tip. However my MK2 is set to Baerwald spec.

Incidentally what are people using on their technics decks?, I've set my Technics Sl-1700 mk2 to the Baerwald overhang which puts the cartridge down the far end of the headshell. I'm considering going back to the standard Technics overhang though?

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2758
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool, PA

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by lenjack » 07 Jan 2020 15:04

52mm, which the Techie gauge gives you, which is Stevenson.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 868
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by Sterling1 » 08 Jan 2020 13:15

lenjack wrote:
07 Jan 2020 15:04
52mm, which the Techie gauge gives you, which is Stevenson.
Not exactly. The gauge delivers a Technics alignment scheme that is close to the Stevenson scheme, not identical. It may be moot however, even for "Golden Ears".

chiz
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 959
Joined: 16 Oct 2009 23:05
Location: London

Re: Technics Direct Drive SL 1100 - 1800 models

Post by chiz » 08 Jan 2020 19:51

I've tried the following on my 1210MK2:

IEC Löfgren A / Baerwald (nulls approx 66.0 / 120.9 mm)
IEC Stevenson (nulls approx 60.3 / 117.4 mm)
Technics spec (nulls approx 58.8 / 113.5 mm)

With IEC Löfgren A / Baerwald I sometimes noticed inner groove distortion but only with records that are cut to a very small radius.

Post Reply