Official Technics Dd Oil

turning japanese
valvehead

Official Technics Dd Oil

Post by valvehead » 28 Jun 2011 17:45

Hi folks!

I've just received a vial of genuine Technics bearing oil. However I was a bit disheartnened to see that it's only a quarter (if that!) full. Has anybody else ordered this oil and is this correct, or have I been ripped off?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNICS-TURNTABL ... 45fadfef59

Cheers,

- John

Edward7778

Post by Edward7778 » 28 Jun 2011 22:08

Hey, I also ordered a vial of the original Technics oil (SFW0010) from Thomann.de and is was also about 1/4 full. But it was factory sealed so I'm guessing that it's normal. I oiled my TT once already (2-3 drops) and there still seems to be enough in the vial to oil my TT at least 2 more times. And since you're only supposed to oil every 2000 hours of operation, and since my average listening is probably max 1000 hours per year, the oil should last at least another 4 years, which seems OK for EUR 14.90, which is what I paid. E.

valvehead

Post by valvehead » 28 Jun 2011 22:24

Cheers Edward - that's great! Have since seen some pics at other sites and they're all about a quarter full too.

I need to clean out my Technics SP-10 Mk.II bearing and re-oil, so I'll probably need to order another vial or two to do this. A pity Technics/Matsushita weren't a little more generous with their oil!

- John

Post by Guest » 29 Jun 2011 03:28

Hi,
Why don't you simply buy some oil marketed by an oil manufacturer the same as Technics do?
The cost per unit volume is in a different league and as the lubrication requirements for a TT spindle are very undemanding, almost any cycle or motor oil will suffice.
I use a cycle oil with PTFE in it for all manner of things including the TT bearing, with the end of the spindle resting in a blob of Molyslip grease.
Regards

bogle111

Post by bogle111 » 29 Jun 2011 04:40

rocker65

Living out here in the sticks, we have to order what we need, but there are a few bikers round here. Can I trouble you for a name of said PTFE stuff. A friend of mine is coming over tomorrow to show me his "new to him" Ducati 600 and I could ask him where I can locate what you recommend.

Thanks and sincerely hope you are feeling better. I remember what you said about the sidecar racing. That sounds like good fun but I would find it hard to muster the courage, let alone anyone that would trust me on the back of one.

Best Regards
Pete

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 29 Jun 2011 05:33

3 in 1 blue is exactly the same stuff as the Technics oil. It is electric motor oil apparently, must be used in models as every electric motor I have opened up had grease bearings. Do not use 3 in one red it is too thin.
CL

bogle111

Post by bogle111 » 29 Jun 2011 14:46

Hi CL
Thank you for that. I shall try and locate that today.
Best Regards
Pete

Post by Guest » 29 Jun 2011 15:33

bogle111 wrote:rocker65

Living out here in the sticks, we have to order what we need, but there are a few bikers round here. Can I trouble you for a name of said PTFE stuff. A friend of mine is coming over tomorrow to show me his "new to him" Ducati 600 and I could ask him where I can locate what you recommend.

Thanks and sincerely hope you are feeling better. I remember what you said about the sidecar racing. That sounds like good fun but I would find it hard to muster the courage, let alone anyone that would trust me on the back of one.

Best Regards
Pete
Hi Pete,
I get mine from Halfords.
If you can, get one that is not in a pump action dispenser, as they can give a very jerky action if try ing to deliver a very small amount. Last time I was there they had these and another type that had a small spout that is used by simply squeezing the container.
Do not forget to shake them well before use.
Regards

Post by Guest » 29 Jun 2011 16:05

cafe latte wrote:3 in 1 blue is exactly the same stuff as the Technics oil. It is electric motor oil apparently, must be used in models as every electric motor I have opened up had grease bearings. Do not use 3 in one red it is too thin.
CL
Hi CL,
In th UK the 3in1 "Red" is horible stuff for precision assemblies.
It has a lot less lubricant in it as it has other ingredients that are non libricating. I.E. 2 of the 3.
It also seems to oxidise and form a solid crust, presumably as part of the rust preventative function,
I too would definatly not recommend it for use on a TT at all.
I have not come across the "Blue" you mention.
Regards

valvehead

Post by valvehead » 30 Jun 2011 04:23

cafe latte wrote:3 in 1 blue is exactly the same stuff as the Technics oil. It is electric motor oil apparently, must be used in models as every electric motor I have opened up had grease bearings. Do not use 3 in one red it is too thin.
CL
If you don't mind my asking (and I'm genuinely interested) how do you know it's the same stuff? It would be convenient if it is as I just happen to have some 3-in-1 blue that I imported from the USA when I was servicing a Garrard 401 motor :)

To those that commented that one can use other oils, I'm well aware of this, but I always prefer to go with the manufacturer's recommended lube whenever possible, particularly as this is for an SP-10 Mk.IIs bearing.

Thanks,

- John

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 30 Jun 2011 05:56

I was going to buy some from Kab (the little bottle) and Kevin kindly told me that the 3 in 1 blue is the same stuff, he told me that Technics oil is just sae 20, but not to use 20 grade for engines as it has additives in that can damage the bearing, but the 3 in 1 blue does not. It sounds reasonable to me as an electric motor oil would have to cope with spinning just like a platter bearing, infact the electric motor will spin much faster.
CL

valvehead

Post by valvehead » 30 Jun 2011 17:39

Ah that's great! MANY thanks.

Assume I have the correct stuff then, which is:

http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

- John

Post by Guest » 30 Jun 2011 18:26

cafe latte wrote:I was going to buy some from Kab (the little bottle) and Kevin kindly told me that the 3 in 1 blue is the same stuff, he told me that Technics oil is just sae 20, but not to use 20 grade for engines as it has additives in that can damage the bearing, but the 3 in 1 blue does not. It sounds reasonable to me as an electric motor oil would have to cope with spinning just like a platter bearing, infact the electric motor will spin much faster.
CL
Hi CL,
That is a strange thing to have been told re. engine oil damaging TT bearings.
Frankly I do not accept this unless Kevin can say exactly what it is in engine oil that could/would damage a TT bearing and in what way this suggested damage manifests itself.
I would be very interested to know more about this.
Regards

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 30 Jun 2011 19:48

rocker65 wrote:
cafe latte wrote:I was going to buy some from Kab (the little bottle) and Kevin kindly told me that the 3 in 1 blue is the same stuff, he told me that Technics oil is just sae 20, but not to use 20 grade for engines as it has additives in that can damage the bearing, but the 3 in 1 blue does not. It sounds reasonable to me as an electric motor oil would have to cope with spinning just like a platter bearing, infact the electric motor will spin much faster.
CL
Hi CL,
That is a strange thing to have been told re. engine oil damaging TT bearings.
Frankly I do not accept this unless Kevin can say exactly what it is in engine oil that could/would damage a TT bearing and in what way this suggested damage manifests itself.
I would be very interested to know more about this.
Regards
Not sure, but 3 in 1 blue is cheap and one can would last forever so I have not really worried about it.. However I get your point as old dynamos on cars used engine oil as lubricants, but as far as I am aware there is no 20 grade engine oil available anymore. My scoop mobile loader specifies 20 grade, but for engines it seems it is no longer used so myself and everyone else seems to use 30 grade which is too thick for the TT bearing.. Shame as I have 60 liters in the sheds.. :D
CL

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 30 Jun 2011 19:50

valvehead wrote:Ah that's great! MANY thanks.

Assume I have the correct stuff then, which is:

http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

- John
Thats the stuff!!
CL