turning japanese
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 23 Apr 2010 01:16

Update:

No dustcover, no replacement belts from Technics / Panasonics / Matshusta. :(

The Dremel broke down but was serviced and fixed.

Experimented with my lump of a 2 part putty when kneaded together formed a lump as hard as a rock with a mini router like tip and it looks like I can fill in the cover area and route out a latch. :) :)

Fred

Dave in Green

Post by Dave in Green » 27 May 2010 02:50

Congratulations, Fred! I've been away for awhile, but wanted to check back in to see how the SL-7 repairs were going. Mine has been humming along just fine since you and others here helped me get it going again.

xactifan

Post by xactifan » 30 May 2010 15:49

Repair of my SL-7: latest news!
After having changed the Regulators IC1 andIC2 the Power is back but the tone arm (and me!) are still blocked. It does not advance, like before.

I'm looking for the old service manual not the SL-7 manual "Revise" found in V.E.
My SL7 PCB is a bit different, especially the area of the arm motor drive
If anyone?...

mscili

Post by mscili » 09 Jan 2011 11:15

Just a line to say thanks for such a great amount of useful information! Yesterday night I got a non-working SL-7, now I have a perfectly working one! ;)

Bests,
Marco

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 09 Jan 2011 19:30

mscili wrote:Just a line to say thanks for such a great amount of useful information! Yesterday night I got a non-working SL-7, now I have a perfectly working one! ;)

Bests,
Marco

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

CONGRATS and Welcome too......

:) :)

How do you like the sound? and what cartridge is installed?

Fred

topdevil

Technics SL-7

Post by topdevil » 25 Jan 2011 04:45

As some of you have posted, I just recently got my old SL-7 out of storage and connected it to my receiver. It was a joy to listen to vinyl again but after a few plays, the arm began sticking, making the music skip as if the disc was badly scratched. It has become apparent that the tone arm is dragging in places. It will play fine a for a short time and then begin sticking. I can hit the stop button and the cartridge comes up and literally slides backwards a short distance. Sometimes the arm will return all the way back to the right, others it stops just short and you can hear the mechanism continuing to try to move the arm. Is this possibly a lubrication issue? The unit has been unused for going on twenty years. Any help from any one will be appreciated.

chrispanteg

Post by chrispanteg » 25 Jan 2011 11:26

I would say either the drive belt for the arm is slipping , or the grease on the the gear wheel has hardened up , take the cover off and take a look.

You can get a new belt from LPgear i believe , try cleaning off the old grease and relube , clean the slide bearing too with cotton buds and isopropanol .

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 11 Mar 2011 18:53

In an effort to keep servicing information on Technics Linears here:

viewtopic.php?t=29821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

See rolls-royce post for acceptable replacement belt.

Good luck.

Fred

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 23 Mar 2011 13:31

Pictures from Tecnics SL-7 help topic along with remedy along with tonearm cue rate tweak:
Diable wrote:Thank you Alec124c41 for your answer.
Here is now photo of the lift assembly.
I hope many answers now.

Franck. :D
Answer:
Shoji wrote:Hello. From view of photograph you attach is missing small metal ring clip this to attach to channel in end part of brass fluting section < show as to right side in photograph >. This small metal ring clip attach after outer metal sleeve place over fluting section. Is also requirement for small quantity silicone fluid make application to fluting before assemble. When assemble is necessary to place spring with small hook over spigot shaft and make position of straight section from spring so as go to top of tonearm and point to cartirdge end of tonearm.
fscl wrote:Shoji writes:
Is also requirement for small quantity silicone fluid make application to fluting before assemble.
Good to see you here Shoji and posting. Hope all is well with your friends and family in Japan.... [-o<

With regards to the post above, does the silicone fluid effect / dampen the tonearm drop speed :?: :-k :-k What is the recommended viscosity?

Thank you in advance for comments.

Fred
Shoji wrote:Hello Fred. All is well with family. Not so well with some friends at certain places.

For question fluid assist dampening and for reduce kick back when tonearm in raising or lowering motion. Make use of medium viscocity for fluid. Is possible to obtain 2 viscocity and make nice mix to obtain nice balance for dampen and motion.
Fred

mscili

Re: Sl-7 Disassembly Problem

Post by mscili » 23 Oct 2011 13:54

Just a little new (for me) info about how to get the SL-7 to its maximum musical potential...

I have the SL-7 with the original EPC-P22 cartridge with new Jico SAS stylus. It was sounding a bit over-analytical, somehow edgy and sometimes just harsh (with sibilance and sometimes tracking problem in loud, high frequency passages). I had to put a book on it while playing, because the lid was not "catched" correctly on the left side. Yesterday I noticed that the lid could have been moved some 1 mm to the right... And I did it. Now it looks perfectly centered, when checking on the back the position of the two metal parts where the four screws are. And... Guess what? Not only it stays correctly closed by itself, it sounds wondeful!!

I would stress this points:
- check that the lid is correctly placed, maybe experiment a bit moving it very slightly to the right or to the left (loosen the four big screws on the back side of the player and tight them again in the new position);
- check that the table is perfectly level (also very important!).

I go listening to some records... ;)

Grretings from Basel,
M.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 29 Oct 2011 03:47

Cross post for tonearm drive rope replacement:

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=41374

Fred

denm3

Post by denm3 » 19 Feb 2012 18:15

Hey guys, great info here. I dusted off my old SL-7 that I have not had plugged in for about 15 years. I have kept it in a plastic bag on the basement shelf for many moons.

I had the same issue with no tone arm movement. to fix it, I had great success without doing much, I wanted to share my story.

I took the plexiglass cover off according to the service manual (thanks for that). I replaced the drive belt--(the little "O" ring rubber drive belt) with a 45 cent O ring from hardware store. this was a No Go. Next, I removed the drive belt, wound out the tone arm with the power off. I turned the power on and flicked the motor pulley ever so slightly, and viola! it started spinning like crazy. It was just frozen in place.

I put my 45 cent O ring drive belt on, and it works perfectly! woo hoo.

Thanks, I could not have done this without reading some of your posts.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 19 Feb 2012 18:26

denm3 wrote:snippage......

I turned the power on and flicked the motor pulley ever so slightly, and viola! it started spinning like crazy. It was just frozen in place.

I put my 45 cent O ring drive belt on, and it works perfectly! woo hoo.

Thanks, I could not have done this without reading some of your posts.
:( :( :( :( :oops: :oops: :) :) :) :)

Stories like this just brings tears to my eyes...... :)

Happy listening.....

Fred

laurentvuillard

Post by laurentvuillard » 14 Mar 2012 21:45

THANKS,many Thanks for the contributors (and the service manual...). I've just brought back to life my 30yeras old SL7. I have just removed the top cover , moved the arm motor shaft gently with my finger and all seems well. In a few days I'll remove the seized grease with a (very) little bit of ethanol and re-coat slightly the gears. It is great to have it back in action!!

laurentvuillard

Post by laurentvuillard » 10 Apr 2012 18:37

Thanks again for the info , I only 1) dissasembled the casing; 2) carefully moved the arm to unseize it and the SL7 now runs like a clock!