Sl-7 Disassembly Problem

turning japanese
amit46

Re: Sl-7 Disassembly Problem

Post by amit46 » 26 Sep 2019 08:50

I have technics linear tracking turntables models: SL-DL5 (two) and Sl-5 apart from Pioneer PL-L55....
I noticed after complete servicing the units with recaps and some changes.....the players tone arm motors where responding after 3-5 turns of the platter....It was quite clear that the small dc motors permanent magnets had become weak after 35 years..........
I bought some good quality DVD drive motors very similar to the original technics motors from Aliexpress for couple of dollars each.
After replacing each unit with a new arm motor.....the linear tracking movement came alive and was moving the carriage just after half a turn of the LP.
Using a TEST LP I found that the linear trackers sailed through all test tracks....
I am using Audio Technica AT311EP cartridge with a Shibhata Stylus.........
The sound is amazing....both my speakers have bi-amping done with superb reproduction of sound.
These turntable will beat the most expensive pivot arm turntables hands down with practically zero distortion and excellent tracking...

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 25 Nov 2019 17:21

Thanks to VE member SL-7 for this link, detailed instructions on cue damping speed...... =D> =D> =D>

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=114973

Fred

johnrainbow

Post by johnrainbow » 12 Jan 2020 18:42

Wonder if you could help.

Got my dad's sl7 been working great however tonearm started sticking so took it all apart to clean and put a new tone arm o ring. However when I put it back together I can't get the disc selector sliding switch to go back in. I think I must have broke it when I first took it apart im not sure. I didn't take any pictures. To make matters worse I've snapped the case where the screw is situated by the tone arm. What a doughnut!

johnrainbow

Post by johnrainbow » 14 Jan 2020 08:42

:D

Ok so I have had some success.

I turned the unit with the lid face down and put the disc selector plastic latch onto the circuit board into the correct position, gravity then held it into place I then put the lid back on. The switch on the selector was not quite in position so used a screw driver to move into place into the slot and back in she went and its working again. With regards to the snapped case by the screw under the tone arm. It was a very clean break and it doesn’t seem to affect play as the case doesn’t appear to be directly linked to the tone arm. Does anyone else have any experience of running the SL-7 with a cracked case and missing screw underneath the tone arm, is this ok to do?

I guess I can get a new case but I guess they have stopped making these parts, would it be a case of just getting an old unit and using the old case off that one? I feel so stupid having broken the screw. Does anyone know for a disc selector replacement part?

When I was cleaning everything I also noticed that the metal wire with the spring on the end going into the tone arm tube is scuffed and not completely smooth in parts can this be replaced or is this something not to worry about.

Sorry so many questions I absolutely love this unit and don’t want to damage it any further.

Cheers

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 05 Feb 2020 17:53

Detailed drive rope replacement:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 0#p1030530

Fred

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 22 Feb 2020 02:01

Much thanks to VE member Koneo for yet another solution to a sticking tonearm.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 6#p1034566

Fred