Sl-7 Disassembly Problem

turning japanese
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Sl-7 Disassembly Problem

Post by fscl » 05 Dec 2016 15:52

shaftmaster wrote:.....snippage.......I've heard that some type of dry teflon lube is preferred. If so, can someone recommend a particular brand?
I use this stuff, the previous version came in a blue can, IIRC was developed in Ozzy in their lumber mills, :?: where their chain drives were constantly a problem until this lube.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Ch ... B00KMMFE8Y

Illustration purposes only, can be had @ much lower price at wallyworld...... :wink:

Crossover lube from chain drive motorcycle...... :wink: A little goes a long way, for the tonearm guide rod, just a shot on the end of a Q-Tip and rubbing it onto the rod. With the tonearm free from the drive mechanism the "tonearm guide bushing just glides on the rod". If your unit has been abused, you may want something more viscous to dampen drive motor noise and vibration ie a very light teflon based grease and not slathered on ie original from factory.

As usual, YMMV and Apply @ Your Own Risk.

Good luck and welcome to VE..... :)

Fred

Mylene2006

Post by Mylene2006 » 29 Jul 2018 03:49

Just a quick thank you to everyone that has posted advice here. Tonearm drive "rope" was broken, drive pulley had fallen off. I re-attached pully, repaired drive rope, and now, the final issue, the "thumping" that was heard whenever I saw the tonearm advance on my otherwise mint SL-DL1 has been eliminated thanks to all this incredible advice. These turntables are just too beautiful and unique not to bring back to their 1981 glory. One more technics linear tracker resurrected and back in service! Thank you!

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 06 Aug 2018 16:30

Thanks again to lnsmnMK2 for a past main bearing post....... =D> =D> =D>

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 18&t=57914

Lube accordingly :)

From "Da Man" himself, consolidating recommendations gleaned from manuals:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 3&start=14

As always YMMV....... :)

Fred

vastsip

Post by vastsip » 04 Nov 2018 20:43

on the periodic thumping issue, on my sl10 what seemed to work is to increase the tonearm weight a bit.a couple of turns, i assume its around 1.3gr now.on my p24 with a jico sas the noise is not audible after this, as far as i can test these days.
its easy enought to test if anyone has this issue

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 03 Jan 2019 14:51

For "random" stop / reject issues, posting a link from an SL-15 topic:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 12#p941412

Thanks to csrvc =D> =D> =D>

Fred

Saril
United States of America

Post by Saril » 13 Feb 2019 00:34

Wow - what a great resource for the Technics SL-7. I have an SL-7 that works but the audio cable seems to going out. It is soldered on the inside of the SL-7. Has anyone ever replaced this cable? Any recommendations for a low capcitance replacement? Is it worth replacing, etc.?

Also, if I were to replace this turntable (which has a Shure V15 type 4 cartridge with low usage) what would be a typical replacement to recover the sound and performance quality? For example, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB and Ortofon 2m Blue. Comments appreciated - thanks.

Saril
United States of America

Post by Saril » 16 Feb 2019 22:08

Anyone??

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 18 Feb 2019 17:32

Never had to replace the audio cable so don't have any guidance on replacement.

Are you sure it's the audio cable that's bad, usually it's the RCA connectors, especially as they are pushed up against a wall, a recent troubleshooting session / topic was caused by a bad wire to RCA connector connection / solder..... :-k

Short the RCA pin to the shoulder / ground ring and test for continuity at the interior of the cable end.

Good luck

Fred

vaporisator

Post by vaporisator » 22 Jun 2019 21:04

Hi everyone !
I just bought a SL10, she's so crazy, but I have a "rope" problem, I had bought a new one to change it !
But when I follow the service manual, I put off the 12 screw, remove the cartridge, pull on the white button, and nothing happens, there is a resistance, I mean in the middle, near the "pressor". What is wrong ?
Here is some pictures, thank you and sorry for my english, I'm french ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ujvee2emT5qrxN9bA

vaporisator

Post by vaporisator » 22 Jun 2019 21:43

I'm back !
Change done ! Just lift up the cache as said already here, and I changed the rope.
But there is a new probleme, when i clic on start, nothing happens....
Before my intervention, I could play 30 seconds on every vinyl.
Any idea ? Thanks :)

visto

Re:

Post by visto » 23 Jun 2019 19:36

Shoji wrote:
22 Jan 2010 18:28
Hello. Is sad to hear you are having this problem. Is necessary to make the check of power supply for correct level at the regulator IC1 plus also regulator IC2. Only make check if have competance for check or else ask technician to make such check. Regulator IC1 input to pin 1 18 Vdc with the output to pin 2 12Vdc. Regulator IC2 input to pin 1 12Vdc with the output to pin 2 5Vdc. Make also the double check for all correct with ground line in this circuit. Take much care when make this checks as easy for test probe to make slip for short circuit of component plus also take much care as live AC power in circuit.
My SL7 right after powering on started to rotate and it was not possible to stop it other way then by switching it off..also none of buttons was responsive and none of lights was on...

In my case resoldering of IC1 and IC2 solve all problems in 100% and bring old buddy to life again...

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Re:

Post by fscl » 24 Jun 2019 15:54

visto wrote:
23 Jun 2019 19:36
Shoji wrote:
22 Jan 2010 18:28
Hello. Is sad to hear you are having this problem. Is necessary to make the check of power supply for correct level at the regulator IC1 plus also regulator IC2. Only make check if have competance for check or else ask technician to make such check. Regulator IC1 input to pin 1 18 Vdc with the output to pin 2 12Vdc. Regulator IC2 input to pin 1 12Vdc with the output to pin 2 5Vdc. Make also the double check for all correct with ground line in this circuit. Take much care when make this checks as easy for test probe to make slip for short circuit of component plus also take much care as live AC power in circuit.
My SL7 right after powering on started to rotate and it was not possible to stop it other way then by switching it off..also none of buttons was responsive and none of lights was on...

In my case resoldering of IC1 and IC2 solve all problems in 100% and bring old buddy to life again...
Congratulations ! These units are approaching 40yo, so a reflow is in order for proper contact and return of logic built / programmed into the ICs.

Did you use a small iron and watch the heat ...... :-k

Fred

visto

Re: Re:

Post by visto » 29 Jun 2019 18:03

[/quote]

[/quote]

Congratulations ! These units are approaching 40yo, so a reflow is in order for proper contact and return of logic built / programmed into the ICs.

Did you use a small iron and watch the heat ...... :-k

Fred
[/quote]

THX !
actually i'd like to thank you for your post and hint !
Yes, little 40W soldering iron..once it was open i replaced all caps...took some time but since more of IC's are no longer available i think it was worth to do it..
However i have still little problem...tonearm FF and REW works pretty slow...no matter if i push the button all the way down...it is slow...tonearm rails cleaned and dry teflon apply ...new belt in place.. any ideas where to look...?
REW an FF should have 2 speeds....mine has just one..slower one...button has two positions, both seems to work...
apart of this - TT works and plays the music great !

greetings from Cracow !
Pit

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 15 Aug 2019 22:57

Since there's SL-10 content in this topic, wanted to add a couple of very good utoob videos:

HTH with your Technics linears....... [-o< =D> =D> =D>

Fred

Rajkumar

Post by Rajkumar » 25 Sep 2019 10:08

Hi Fred, I have SL10 working well, and I was repaint my deck, there was lot of scratches. Now I plan to buy SL15 very long time my dream machine, my question is seller said sometime works when press start button sometime not intermittent problem, I am very good in repair turntable and CD players, based this forum after read easy can fix this by lubricate, replace belt and excise button. My worries is, do you have any experience logic IC failed on those decks SL15 or SL-QL15? and SL-15 Following operation switch (sometime sticky) S411 - 416 (PN: EVQQXR04K) can find new? Thanks Rajkumar