SL-D3. Parts Identification.

turning japanese
garretts91
United States of America

SL-D3. Parts Identification.

Post by garretts91 » 09 Jan 2020 02:49

Hoping to find someone here familiar with the parts breakdown of this turntable (SL-D3).

I've attached below an expanded view of the bottom board. Had it off yesterday and I seem to be missing all four of part #7. Its description in the parts list of the service manual is "Cap,Bottom Board". There is also a note "not to loose the boss cap attached to the insulator on the cabinet side" in the disassembly procedure that I believe is related?

What purpose does part #7 serve? I've searched around and can't find an answer. These parts, to me look like they take part in isolating vibration at the feet. The turntable is on a cabinet but is sensitive, even being somewhat light footed around it. I just assumed it was the design of the spring feet. Now I'm wondering, would replacing these help alleviate the sensitivity issues?

Thanks ,

Garrett
Attachments
SLD3.png
(219.61 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

CBH
United States of America

Re: SL-D3. Parts Identification.

Post by CBH » 14 Jan 2020 20:42

I hope this gets answered soon. I also would like to know how to reduce the sensitivity in mine as well. I thought it was something else, but now you have me wondering. Gonna have to see if I have those parts or not as well.

xraypro

Post by xraypro » 16 Jan 2020 02:47

When the bottom cover is attached to the top, these items are sandwiched between the covers. I believe they strengthen the attachment screws (#8) for the feet. In my case, one was rattling around inside. The noise is endemic to direct drive turntables, and others built like this, because the platter and tonearm are attached to the chassis instead of floating on a separate platform. Any vibration is transmitted through the feet to the chassis and then to the platter. Check to make sure the chassis is a little springy, so that the springs (#9) are working and the feet aren't broken through. The chassis should not be bottoming out.

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 16 Jan 2020 05:18

I think you are completely over-thinking this. When Matsushita/Technics describes something as a cap, it is exactly that. More than likely, it is just an interference plug that covers the top of the foot screw that protrudes into the base cavity. They have no apparent function other than a finishing touch to give a finished look to the foot installation. Endemic to direct drive turntables...?? bosh

garretts91
United States of America

Post by garretts91 » 19 Jan 2020 00:18

Thanks for the feedback. The feet are all in great shape. They aren't collapsed and have plenty of spring back. Since my original posting I've stripped the table completely down to clean the pitch pot/ speed switch/ adjustment pots and replace the thermal paste on the IC and the adjoining heat sinks. It's back together and functions so I'd say I did alright.

I do agree that I may have been over-thinking. I'm far more familiar now with the internals of the table. I can comfortably say part #7 most likely doesn't serve any major purpose. I ended up taping some 1/4in thick anti-vibration pads under each foot and attached some sound deadening material to the inside of the bottom cover. The sensitivity issues have drastically improved.

Thanks again.

CBH, try the fixes I listed above.