AT95e setup query

turning japanese
Oldreggaeboy

AT95e setup query

Post by Oldreggaeboy » 06 Jul 2019 14:46

Hi chaps,
Forgive my ignorance , I'm no audiophile, Some help please . preferably from someone who has same set up. I dug out my "new" but sitting in its box for 10 years Technics 1210 mk2. I have a vintage system as my main system and decided to run a second with the Technics and paired it with the AT95e to start with as this was apparently a good match. I have no complaints about the sound (though may tinker a bit) but I have noticed that in the discs run out I can hear the stylus kicking and screaming through the groove ? Is this normal for eliptical styli as I have only used spherical in the past. I took my vintage cart , popped it on the technics and no noise in the run out. I appear to have set it up correctly ?

cart weight 5.7 g and so needs technics supplied weight added to shell
Stylus set to 2g
Anti skate to 2
and tone arm height set to 2 as per cartridge height (17mm) as per technics table.

One point that that may be pertinent is the AT instructions say to lower the tone arm so that the bottom of the shell is level with the record on the platter., prior to instal. Technics instructions are to balance horizontal to the platter. I went with the latter. It's as if there is too much weight being applied and my thoughts are turning to removing the shell weight as everything else seems set correctly.

Any thoughts anyone ?

chiz
Great Britain

Re: AT95e setup query

Post by chiz » 07 Jul 2019 13:11

In my experience the AT95E with the supplied mounting hardware is heavy enough to not require any additional weight with the stock Technics headshell and that is how I have always used it.

I’ve not noticed this combination to be significantly louder in the run out groove than any other cartridge I have used.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 07 Jul 2019 15:52

Please forgive me if this seems obvious.
The arm should be horizontal, parallel to the record, when playing.Use a protractor to align the cartridge, i.e. position it properly in the headshell.
Balance the arm, with cartridge set, by moving entire counterweight, so that the stylus floats at record surface level. Zero the dial on the counterweight, without moving the counterweight, then turn entire counterweight to set tracking force.
I expect that you have done all this, and that you may be dealing with the characteristics of the cartridge.
About adding extra weight to the headshell, If the bass sounds thin, add weight. If it sounds too full, remove weight.

Cheers,
Alec

Oldreggaeboy

Post by Oldreggaeboy » 08 Jul 2019 11:19

Thanks chaps for the replies , it seemed a stupid question but I had noticed this difference and so thought best asked. As i said I'm no audiophile I have a Phillips GA212 electronic turntable which was fairly well regarded in it's day and is simple to set up paired with various what would be considered classic amps from the late seventies, Rotel and Marantze. I have always loved the sound. Though I like all types of music I mainly play vintage ska, rocksteady and reggae 45's. The older stuff are not the best pressings or recordings and so never bothered with the audiophile route. 70,s and 80,s reggae pressings are generally good and a good dub gives a setup a thorough work out. Reverb, echo, the mix going in and out or sudden snatches of horn etc at volume and of course the bass !

I always wanted a 1200 and despite what is often quoted it was never designed as a DJ deck , it's debut in 1972 predates disco by several years ! When Technics announced they were ceasing production in 2010 I bought a 1210 and tucked it away. As I'm getting a little tired of servicing old gear I wanted something that had good around ability and would survive a nuclear blast and outlive me ! I paired it with the AT95e as my research seemed to indicate that it paired well with the arm and am aware we are at the budget end of cartridges here, but wanted something unfussy and is willing to be dragged through some quite hair raising grooves at times. I'm happy with the pairing , it's slightly brighter than the philips but I also have to factor the new amp into the equation (Onkyo A-9010) straight analogue version. Budget again. If like me you don't play many L.Ps , don't have records in pristine condition , reading endless cartridge reviews makes your head spin and just want a beer with your mates and spin a few tunes without faff it does the job more than competently I would say if that helps anyone.

I'll note the head shell weight advice and the bass response and fiddle a bit more

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 08 Jul 2019 12:31

You might have a bit of a mis-match of capacitance with your AT-95E. I have been unable to find out the capacitance of the phono circuit of the A-9010; my guess is it might be a bit high for the AT. Audio Technica recommends 100-200 pF capacitance for its cartridges, which is on the low end. If the A-9010 phono circuit's capacitance (plus the capacitance of your turntable/tonearm wiring, which should be about 100 pF for the SL-1200/1210) is higher than that, the 95E could sound a bit bright, and present more-than-usual noise in the run-out groove.

Oldreggaeboy

Post by Oldreggaeboy » 08 Jul 2019 16:06

Hi,
Sent a message to Onkyo to see if I can get the capacitance info as I cannot find it either . The other pairing that seems to be popular is the shure m97xe which might bring things down a bit ? I did quite a bit of research but it's difficult as what we hear is subjective , one mans sound is not anothers. What I have noticed is that at volume it's a bit hard on the ears treble wise and is true with the Phillips cart and AT. However two factors with this are , really it is higher than I would comfortably play anyway and also the setup is in the conservatory and so much glass doesn't help the acoustics. My old system does not have this issue. The other factor that we all should give more consideration to is that we adapt. The sound from the new system might actually be closer to a more balanced sound but my ears have tuned in to the old system. You often see reviews of carts along the lines of "didn't;t like this at first but after a few months of wearing in I've come to really love it" I suspect that nothing much has changed. I'm no expert but you are dragging a diamond through plastic , only one winner in that contest and its the diamond. Would be surprised if there is any wear to one of the hardest substances currently known to man caused by abrasion against vinyl. i think this may be a marketing ploy. What I would concede is whatever adhesive is used in mounting the diamond breaks down leading to an unstable tip. but what do I know :D

Oldreggaeboy

Post by Oldreggaeboy » 10 Jul 2019 12:16

Well as you probably all suspected it was user error. Counter weight issue, so that's sorted (gosh I'm so out of practice with this stuff ) That's what happens when you have the same turntable and stylus for 20 years !

I still feel that it's a tad bright (or is how it's supposed to be :D )but have noted what you all said and will tinker. Thank you all for taking the time