Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

turning japanese
Post Reply
tom6to1
member
member
Canada
Posts: 201
Joined: 22 Oct 2011 18:09
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by tom6to1 » 18 Mar 2019 17:40

Nowadays, where I live at least, you see a lot of used 1200's for sale. 1600's not so much but they do pop up now and then. They are almost always cheaper than 1200's though which seems odd as they are much rarer...
Panasonic kept making the original SL1200 MKxs up until 2010 or so (well with minor changes and model numbers but basically the same turntable). Panasonic stopped making the SL1600 long before that so it is no surprise there there are far fewer available.

laffs4sale
member
member
Posts: 62
Joined: 02 Aug 2017 13:43

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by laffs4sale » 22 Mar 2019 17:42

Is there a street price yet for the 1500C in the US? MK7 is $999.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5832
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by BMRR » 23 Mar 2019 14:01

I'm not sure if it's even available in the US yet. I don't see it for sale anywhere. The price that has been mentioned in the various news articles so far is $1400, and I wouldn't be surprised if the street price lands closer to $1200, but the turntable doesn't seem to be on any streets yet.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5832
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by BMRR » 23 Mar 2019 14:06

For what it's worth, most places that are accepting preorders for the 1200 Mk7 say it won't ship until June.

bernard1
senior member
senior member
France
Posts: 613
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 19:06

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by bernard1 » 03 Apr 2019 10:41

According to this page, the 1500C would be priced at 1000€ and the 1200 mk7 at 900€ in Europe.
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/hcfr-repo ... uits-2019/

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5832
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by BMRR » 03 Apr 2019 15:51

Thanks!

Here is that page translated to English:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ts-2019%2F

hi_torq
member
member
Posts: 58
Joined: 04 Aug 2008 20:11
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by hi_torq » 04 May 2019 17:12

Until somebody produces a full lab report (as per the scientific Hi-Fi Choice technical reviews of the day by Martin Colloms et al), comparison with models of 30-35 years ago is nothing but conjecture.

For a start, the '1500 MkII had arm-height adjustment by way of a clamping thumbwheel. And front-panel control, of course. So already the distinction is blurred. And the new, wider gimbal will scream "'1200 Clone!" for many.

Clearly, Matsu are not seeking to reinvent those older models that some of us actually remember. But how can they? The assembly-lines will be gone, the tooling will be gone, the components unobtainium and the original designers dead. (And there really was a "Record Player Engineering Division"!)

So what's it like under the hood, I wonder? SMPS? Probably. SMD electrolytic capacitors? Probably. Nasty little tactile switch for start/stop? Undoubtedly! (Conjecture? Yes!)

henrikpetersen21
junior member
junior member
Posts: 10
Joined: 09 Aug 2012 09:40

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by henrikpetersen21 » 08 Jun 2019 19:47

Hi

I apologize for being slow to finding this thread. I think the new Technics SL-1500C and the new SL-1200/1210mk7 is designed by a committee, and probably build by Japanese subcontractors. I think this because it is a new turntable.

georgesgiralt
senior member
senior member
France
Posts: 259
Joined: 05 Mar 2019 08:44

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by georgesgiralt » 08 Jun 2019 20:48

Sorry, but a French journalist visited the Technics factory and, no, they are not made by subcontractors.
See the visit the technics factory thread.

abs1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 577
Joined: 08 Oct 2012 18:17
Location: Western Colorado

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by abs1 » 09 Jun 2019 16:57

henrikpetersen21 wrote:
08 Jun 2019 19:47
Hi

I apologize for being slow to finding this thread. I think the new Technics SL-1500C and the new SL-1200/1210mk7 is designed by a committee, and probably build by Japanese subcontractors. I think this because it is a new turntable.
I appreciate your opinion. We all have a right to express our opinions.

Now for mine:

You are totally misinformed.
or
You have a bone to pick with Technics.
or
You are an idiot.

Al

henrikpetersen21
junior member
junior member
Posts: 10
Joined: 09 Aug 2012 09:40

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by henrikpetersen21 » 09 Jun 2019 20:34

I certainly dont have a bone to pick with Technics. I have a Technics ST-500 tuner that works fine.
Guess I was wrong about subcontractors building the new Technics turntables, nice factory too.
I apologize for my opinions, I was just upset that people had written the new Yamaha GT-5000 was made by Hanpin when it clearly isnt.

rlwings
junior member
junior member
Canada
Posts: 23
Joined: 16 Jun 2018 17:54
Location: Toronto

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by rlwings » 10 Jun 2019 09:07

I think Technics is playing a game with us... It goes something like this: 'lets start at the top (1200G) and see how many fish we can catch, then release a GR and catch all the wishful fish that couldn't quite swing the G'... Then bring out the MK7 and 1500 to grab everybody else.... It was all a psychological game, purposefully timed and skilfully executed ... I ended up being a GR fish myself. Hopelessly lured into their marketing net... These tables are damn good, I mean really good!

The 1500 is a nice offering, but in anticipation of it's release, Technics has recently reduced the price of the GR!. This made my decision to buy the GR $300 dollars easier here in Canada.

As my dad used to say. "Tell me again how much we are saving by purchasing this now?" :roll:

Luxman78
member
member
Croatia
Posts: 70
Joined: 03 May 2019 20:33

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Luxman78 » 10 Jun 2019 09:54

bernard1 wrote:
03 Apr 2019 10:41
According to this page, the 1500C would be priced at 1000€ and the 1200 mk7 at 900€ in Europe.
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/hcfr-repo ... uits-2019/
My sources say the same thing. This is a shop in Germany.
https://www.fono.de/Plattenspieler/Technics

Luxman78
member
member
Croatia
Posts: 70
Joined: 03 May 2019 20:33

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Luxman78 » 10 Jun 2019 09:56

rlwings wrote:
10 Jun 2019 09:07
I think Technics is playing a game with us... It goes something like this: 'lets start at the top (1200G) and see how many fish we can catch, then release a GR and catch all the wishful fish that couldn't quite swing the G'... Then bring out the MK7 and 1500 to grab everybody else.... It was all a psychological game, purposefully timed and skilfully executed ... I ended up being a GR fish myself. Hopelessly lured into their marketing net... These tables are damn good, I mean really good!

The 1500 is a nice offering, but in anticipation of it's release, Technics has recently reduced the price of the GR!. This made my decision to buy the GR $300 dollars easier here in Canada.

As my dad used to say. "Tell me again how much we are saving by purchasing this now?" :roll:
I somehow don't mind this game. Just make me the one I can buy and make it good. :D

Nakatomi63
Spain
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 Jun 2019 18:00

Re: Technics SL-1500C - Coming soon...

Post by Nakatomi63 » 25 Jun 2019 18:10

I think it´s the first review about the SL-1500C

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sl-1500c

Post Reply