Good guide for 1200 hinges install?

turning japanese
audiomodder

Good guide for 1200 hinges install?

Post by audiomodder » 23 Sep 2018 05:20

I've amassed a few parts for finally installing some hinges on my 1200. My DJ friend gave me the actual hinges and I have a couple other pieces around... But I'm not entirely sure I have a complete set. Does anyone know of a good video guide I can watch for installing them so I make sure I do it correctly?

Also side note, I think it's a total bummer that the MK5 doesn't come with hinges... Why did Technics leave this out? It seems like a middle finger to the customer.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Good guide for 1200 hinges install?

Post by audiopile » 23 Sep 2018 07:21

I only have one mk 5 - it didn't come with hinges -purchased used I didn't know they weren't part of the original. I'd bought a couple of sets of the appropriate hinges and installation was pretty straightforward - screw plastic uChannels to base , loosen bolts on hinge,slide onto dustover , tighten until just tight enough (overtighten and you'll crack the cover), slide into uchannel and done. I also bought hinges for the older series 1200 and those are a bit more involved to install.It is surprising that there isn't a obvious Utube how to on this ?

audiomodder

Post by audiomodder » 24 Sep 2018 08:54

There is only one suuuper shaky camera video that is not apply to my model. There's different plates, with different screws, with some that need to be tapped in… It's extremely confusing.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 24 Sep 2018 17:24

I wish I could be more help with this - my Mk5 was purchased used -so I can't be absolutely confident that yours is the same ? But it was very obvious . The hinge assembly came with two pieces in the package : the part that clamps to the dustcover and the plastic U channel that the metal hinge assembly fits/slides into. (If you have more parts than that in your package - that is the hinge for the older model SL-1200. The older model requires the installation of a piece of Z shaped metal onto the base before the hinge/dustcover is assembled to that.) Again -on my MK5 which didn't have a hinge on it - all that was required was take the plastic Uchannel to the hardware store -buy four self tapping screws that will fit into those holes and protrude a 1/4"-3/8" past the plastic fixture when inserted into the plastic piece all the way. I seem to remember these were no. 4 screws ? At least on mine the plate the plastic u channel attaches to is already in place on the back of the turntable and it couldn't be more obvious -screws screw into that -holes in the part attached to the base already there (again -maybe -my Mk5 is used). If you have the older hinge/base attachment -does anyone know if that is usable/adaptable to the earlier MK 5. ? I got my hinges for the MK 5 from KAB -if Kevin still has the part that's the easiest way to do this.

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 24 Sep 2018 17:43

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 24 Sep 2018 18:29

Thanks Chiz - a pic really is worth a thousand words.

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 24 Sep 2018 19:52

audiopile wrote:Thanks Chiz - a pic really is worth a thousand words.
No problem. As soon as you mentioned KAB I thought it was worth a look there to see if there was any helpful info.

audiomodder

Post by audiomodder » 27 Sep 2018 01:05

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'm trying to install on a SL – 1200 MK 2, which is slightly more complicated. There is the 2 Z shaped metal pieces that need the TT to be disassembled to be installed, they also apparently need a "support bar" which may or may not have threads for the "U shaped" plastic that the hinge fits into.
Also on the SL-1200 MK2, the rubber on the dust cover does not pull right off, it looks like I may have to destroy it, which I rather not do if possible.

sylvain999

Post by sylvain999 » 08 Oct 2018 22:23

There you have a good view of all the parts you need. The adjustment plate goes inside the Z shaped plate and screws goes through the U Brackets and the slots of the Z shaped plate .Once all mounted, leave the screws some loose so the U bracket can move up and down a bit,Put the hinges then slide the cover in and leave the cover screws with some loose, close the cover, adjust the U brackets so the cover closes fine ( usually has to go up a bit) and slide cover in hinges so the cover closes equally on both sides, set the U brackets and the cover screws. Do not overtighten cover screws.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TECHNICS-S ... SwNnRYglQf

audiomodder

Post by audiomodder » 30 May 2019 09:01

I finally got around to uploading the videos I made on this.
I tried multiple sets of hinges, brackets, and screws. Nothing works on my original 1979/1980 MK2. Pulled so much of my hair out on this one so far :((

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jawbhezsldo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvUjTasrI6w

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 30 May 2019 11:21

audiomodder wrote:
30 May 2019 09:01
I finally got around to uploading the videos I made on this.
I tried multiple sets of hinges, brackets, and screws. Nothing works on my original 1979/1980 MK2. Pulled so much of my hair out on this one so far :((

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jawbhezsldo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvUjTasrI6w
Yes this appears to be an early example. They made some changes to the design around 1984 and it looks like the later parts may not be compatible without some modification.
Have you contacted Kevin at KAB? He may be able to offer some advice.
https://www.kabusa.com

sylvain999

Post by sylvain999 » 03 Jul 2019 01:13

1979 to 1983 models have the larger and shallower type of hinges the so the brackets inside the base were also different. The older hinges support holes are 1 9/16 appart, the newer ones are 1 5/16 appart. You can kinda make new style brackets fit into a older base model turntable if you drill larger hole in the brackets where the pilot holes are so you can screw on the back adjusting plate to accept the hinges at 1 9/16. Most of the post 1983 turntables had grooves instead of pilot holes in the brackets to adjust the hinge position up down or right left but the slots are too narrow to fit the old style hinges, so you need to enlarge the grooves to get the new style of hinge kit to fit. I hope it makes sense, it can be difficult to figure without seeing.

audiomodder

Post by audiomodder » 03 Jul 2019 02:31

Yikes. That doesn't sound easy. So no one makes a kit for pre 1983 hinge install? :(

Thanks so much for the reply, you've really helped me understand this mystery..

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 04 Jul 2019 03:15

audiomodder wrote:
23 Sep 2018 05:20
I've amassed a few parts for finally installing some hinges on my 1200. My DJ friend gave me the actual hinges and I have a couple other pieces around... But I'm not entirely sure I have a complete set. Does anyone know of a good video guide I can watch for installing them so I make sure I do it correctly?

Also side note, I think it's a total bummer that the MK5 doesn't come with hinges... Why did Technics leave this out? It seems like a middle finger to the customer.
The Mk II onward don't come with hinges. Some of them are used in professional applications where the dust cover is not necessary. This is after all, a professional turntable which does get used at home. Agree about the desire for a good video on installing the hinges. I do prefer them myself, even in professional applications. The SL-1200 turntables I maintain as a broadcast engineer all have hinges fitted and dust covers as standard procedure.