Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

turning japanese
Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Technics Direct Drive Appreciation Thread

Post by Nigel Gomez » 22 Jun 2019 17:13

lenjack wrote:
22 Jun 2019 17:01
For those of us Technics fans, myself included, who don't quite recognize this quartz beauty, and can't make out the model number, would you kindly tell us? Thanks in advance. :?: :) 8) =P~
It's a Technics SL 1210 MK 2.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 Jun 2019 17:16

Ah, it was in your sig. I saw it, but I thought it was something you already had in your collection. Thanks.

Shattered

Post by Shattered » 14 Jul 2019 13:35

Shattered wrote:
06 Apr 2019 07:10
I have the underappreciated SL-1800 Mk I. Got it a couple of summers ago when my ATLP60 started running fast.
Just need to relube the tonearm and maybe eventually replace the RCA cords, but otherwise, it's been perfect.
I think we need a Mk I appreciation thread. :p
Post-surgery.
20190625_013258.jpg
(103.66 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
20190714_053022.jpg
(109.17 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 14 Jul 2019 14:55

Nice!!!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 14 Jul 2019 21:57

Nigel Gomez wrote:
22 Jun 2019 16:55
Nigel Gomez wrote:
01 Aug 2018 13:19
I've always wanted a Technics SL 1800 mk 2 to replace my trusty Technics SL 210 in my secondary system.
Well I didn't get the SL 1800 mk 2 but I got this instead.

I am now putting it through the paces. 64788777_1397638233708038_6586092216794480640_n.jpgIt needs a clean up and a better cartridge.It sounds lovely though.
When funds allow, a Kab damper, then an external psu and better feet and you will be in vinyl heaven. They sound great stock standard, but with a little light modding they can sound totally stunning.
Chris

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 14 Jul 2019 22:11

Most likely AT 540ML then damper.mat etc.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 15 Jul 2019 00:10

justjed0001 wrote:
01 Aug 2018 23:47
SL-1800. I don't care that it's a manual deck. I don't even care that it's servo-controlled instead of quartz-locked. I have a 2M Blue on one head-shell, and a Shure/Realistic R47XT with a hyperelliptical stylus on another. I can swap and re-balance in less than 5 minutes, depending on what I want to listen to on a given day. And they both sound really good. Makes my old belt-drive Pioneer seem almost quaint in comparison. Color me a fan...
I think of your SL-1800 as an improved SL-1500 without the switch problems. It may not be Quartz Locked, but it keeps speed accurate as a Swiss Watch in good order, has a fine stock tonearm, and nice and simple to maintain, and performs darned fine. A fine workhorse of a turntable. For me, a favorite of mine.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 15 Jul 2019 01:26

I sometimes wonder who else, if anyone, would have invented direct drive, if Technics hadn't. Recall, in those days, Panasonic wasn't even using the Technics name for any of their products. Their first direct drive, the SP10, was introduced around mid 1971, under the Panasonic name, with no mention whatsoever, of the word "Technics". The First mention of the word was for their other audio products than turntables, in 1973, with the phrase "Technics by Panasonic". It was a good while before they simply just started using the Technics name, and dropped the Panasonic name.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Jul 2019 03:37

When I first got back into vinyl, there was a general dearth of Technics product of any kind available in my area. I actually started with a pair of Technics SB-X500 speakers (with the honeycomb drivers) that I had researched and truly love the sound of them. My first Technics turntable was an overlooked SL-D4 that was being ignored at an estate sale. Over in the corner was a second set of X500s which I bought, working a combo deal for the D4 as well. A beautiful example of linear turntables, I still have and enjoy it on a regular basis. After a long drought thereafter, I happened upon a pristine SL-D202 at a local thrift, making it two Technics turntables. This remains my main use turntable. Not long after, I happened upon a SL-Q200, introducing me to the marvels of Quartz speed monitoring. With a good P-mount cartridge in place, this is reserved for my finer, usually acoustic and more "atmospheric" albums, where the high ranges are more evident. My next find was a second D202, in similar fine, NM condition, which, in spite of the duplication, I snatched up in an instant. It had been on the shelf at this particular thrift store for all of a 1/2 hour, and needless to say, I was thrilled. It may (or may not!) find a new home with one of my sons in law....maybe. It is in great condition, save a crack near one of the hinges on the dust cover. Then, to complete my Technics journey to date, I happened upon another linear tracker, an SL-L20...nothing fancy, but packing an early Grado M+ cartridge (non- mono), which justified the purchase, the most expensive turntable that I've ever paid, at $60 Cdn, still a steal of a deal. Now being used (on permanent loan) by my youngest daughter, with a more manageable Shure M92e cartridge on it. So, after a long period of wondering if I would ever find that elusive Technics turntable, I have been blessed with a plethora of fine turntables of the Technics brand. Oh, and I almost forgot, for a few dollars more, I picked up a decent SL-B202 (without cover unfortunately, but with decent Shure M70 cartridge) when I bought a nice JVC A21 belt drive turntable (JVC being my second favorite brand). So, do I like Technics...hell yes, and I'm only into this for less than $200, excluding cartridges and styli. And they all perform wonderfully, every time, with just a little cleaning, a drop of oil or two, a belt, and some TLC. Fantastic units, all! :D

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Jul 2019 03:52

Concerning the subject of "if not Technics, then who would have perfected DD".....not many seem to be aware of the magnitude of the Technics brand as the high end division of Panasonic, which is the the electronics division of the enormous parent Matsushita. As one of the true giants of the electronics industry through the 80s and 90s, Panasonic and Technics as the subsidiary of, had enourmous resources behind them in R+D and manufacturing capability to essentially simply set goals, then matter of factly achieve them at whatever level of quality and capability that they desired. As a result, some of the greatest developments in electronics came to the world under either a Panasonic or Technics brand name. A lot of other developers and makes were driven to compete at the same time, and we all benefited by this push to redefine and re-invent the industry in this period. Some truly amazing machinery and components, Technics turntables being only one branch of development.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Jul 2019 04:32

And, as a further comment, I see I'd previously responded to this topic earlier on....but have added some new information, so will consider this last input an appendum! #-o