Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

turning japanese
Patrick0925

Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

Post by Patrick0925 » 12 Jul 2018 22:50

Just recently acquired a Technics SL-Q200 turntable. Everything works great except for the cueing mechanism. Any ideas/suggestions on how to begin to correct this problem?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Patrick

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

Post by musicmn » 13 Jul 2018 03:10

Hi Patrick, what type of problem are you having with the cue control ?

Patrick0925

Post by Patrick0925 » 13 Jul 2018 16:03

The cue switch will not lift the tonearm up and when the turntable starts the auto return function it will not lift up. I flipped the turntable over and took off the bottom and it looks to be attached and when switching between the up and down position it actuates a plastic piece with a spring attached to it (sorry it really hard to describe).

Patrick0925

Post by Patrick0925 » 13 Jul 2018 16:38

Dumb question....what actually makes the tonearm go up and down? Is it the black plastic height adjustment piece?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 14 Jul 2018 17:14

Hi Patrick, I have never worked on a SL Q200 but I did work on a slQ300 recently. I took some pictures of the mechanism. Unfortunately I didn't take any of the cue piston area. The cue piston is what pushed up the cue elevator that raises the tonearm. What happened on the SLQ300 I serviced is that the silicone damping fluid used to slow the drop rate of the tonearm leaked out and caused everything to become stuck that's associated with the cue control. The silicone damping fluid on this model goes into a small trough like part not on the piston itself. In the top picture with the yellow arrow that is where the silicone damping fluid goes. Notice how shinny everything is around this area that's the damping fluid leaking out. The bottom picture is showing all the old lithium grease that was used in this mechanism that also turned sticky and was causing issues with the full auto features. My best advice is to either service this mechanism yourself to remove all the old grease and silicone damping fluid. Or have someone who knows how to service one of these do it for you. Once it's cleaned and fresh grease ad silicone damping fluid have been applied the cue control should work correctly again. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Technics SL Q300 turntable 009 (Copy).JPG
(957.72 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Technics SL Q300 turntable 011 (Copy).JPG
Mechanism flipped over.
(810.27 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

rainman14624

Post by rainman14624 » 20 Feb 2019 18:39

Thank You MusicMN! Just fixed cueing issue on SL-q200 I just acquired. Got a 2-oz bottle of 30,000 Cst fluid from Nitro Hobbies. Finding a needle to inject the fluid in the reservoir was the hardest part. It was a slow go (goo) but it's working like a champ now!

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Post by Mdewitt134 » 22 Jan 2020 02:48

Just acquired a Q200 that looks clean and operates except for que: may have similar issue, it won’t lower, so need to open to see if old grease has it gummed up.

Which silicone from Nitro Hobbies? Don’t see a 30000 listed...

Also, do you inject into the bottom of that nylon cylinder with yellow arrow? And can you tell me what needle you found?

Any info appreciated!

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Post by Mdewitt134 » 09 Feb 2020 19:47

I've had some success fixing SL-Q200 que not working: first, found brass pin for arm lift was frozen inside brass housing, probably old lube: you can see the spring that lowers que is completely compressed and not working in this view of bottom of que "piston"? or whatever its correct name: note the rounded end of the small diameter piston rides up and down the que ramp to raise and lower the tonearm:
sl200 que piston stuck.png
(619.88 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
So when I couldn't get piston to move, I used some lube (PB lube, not blaster) and worked it manually and cleaned up as best as possible: I had to apply and let table sit upside down overnight to get it completely free: now the que lever will raise and lower arm: first pic shows the ramp with arm raised, second pic with ramp moved away and arm lowered:
sl200 que raised on top of ramp.png
(682.61 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
you can see the rounded brass piston sitting up on the ramp with the spring fully compressed: this spring is what lowers the que.

Below is photo showing the brass piston now off the ramp, so the arm is in lowered position: freeing the frozen shaft in the brass housing allowed the spring to push the lift "down":
sl200 que lowered off ramp.png
(656.33 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
notice the rounded end of the shaft is lower down on the ramp, and the spring is now extended slightly, so the arm lowers .

Now be sure you check the raised height is adjusted correctly so you don't crash the stylus, just to be sure....
sl200 que height adjustment.png
(42.18 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
So that was some missing info that hopefully can help people understand how this SL Q200 que works, but now i have a slightly different problem....

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Post by Mdewitt134 » 09 Feb 2020 20:05

now that I got the que to loosen up, and lubricated brass parts and spring with correct synthetic oil, the lowering speed is fast... even tho when I watch from underneath, I see there is some cushioning going on, it's not enough... I've read in the post above there is a way to put in thick silicone fluid to make it dampen, but I can't see a way... the cylinder highlighted in yellow seems to be where the silicone goes, per the posts, but can anyone explain how to get it in the right place?
sl200 que lowering cushion.png
(415.56 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Resolved Silicone Refill Re: Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

Post by Mdewitt134 » 16 Feb 2020 19:31

Got my SL Q200 que damping issue resolved, figured out how to refill silicone Que damping fluid, documented with pictures:

I bought from Amazon; just searched "30000CST silicone" and found it. I'm trying 60000 or 100000cst next time, works ok with 30k but could be slower. Also, silicone is available on www.turntablebasics.com

First some suggestions to improve chances for success:
1) before you remove any screws, put a mark next to each hole with perm marker (see my photos)
2) to put each screw back where it came from (they are different), arrange them in cardboard or putty or something
3) to minimize chances for stripping holes out in this old plastic, turn screws backwards until you feel the threads "click" into place, this keeps using threads already made and keeps from recutting and possibly breaking old plastic

4) TONEARM: fasten tonearm into the rest/support when you remove and reinstall the auto-mechanism sub-frame: this will help make sure the mechanisms line up correctly, so everything works when you reinstall and start...

I'm trying to explain mostly by the photos (small .png files), and learned if you're logged in, the images will show up and you shouldn't have to download each photo... 15 photos in 2 parts

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Resolved Part 1 Re: Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

Post by Mdewitt134 » 16 Feb 2020 20:01

Looks like it will take 3 posts, limited to just 5 photos per post...

Mark Screw Hole locations, with permanent marker, note screw position layout in putty:
1_Mark screw holes screw positions.png
(457.75 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
It helps to have a pair of long narrow needlenose pliers, for the later work of depressing retaining tabs to remove shaft:
2_Long Needle Nose Pliers.png
(462.28 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Remove Rod for Stop button, careful to unclip so don't break plastic:
3_Remove Stop Rod.png
(455.61 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
De-soldering for this work is not necessary: carefully remove noise shield screw from auto-mechanism sub plate, ground wire will still be attached so be careful with it...
4_Remove without unsoldering.png
(716.36 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Free wire for the "on" switch mounted to the auto mechanism, so you can easily move the sub frame around and work on it, by freeing the heavy wire from under and around 110v plug and transformer:
5_Free wire for subframe access.png
(582.22 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Resolved Silicone Refill Part 2 Re: Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

Post by Mdewitt134 » 16 Feb 2020 20:11

Detach the small integrated circuit board attached close to the big gear
5a_Remove IC screw.png
(678.33 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Wanted to show for reference: Que lever shown in UP position: note the Ramp for the que piston positon...
6_Que Damper UP position.png
(690.23 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
For reference, Que lever shown in DOWN position, note the Ramp for que piston now rotated...
7_Que Damper DOWN position.png
(622.74 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Now working with Silicone, per earlier posts I prepared a needle and syringe (old printer ink refill syringe and needle), but this stuff is thick! had to fill syringe from the back with a screwdriver!
8a_tried needle.png
(449.76 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Now I just tried putting silicone into small hole in the bottom of the cushion chamber... this didn't work at all!! too thick to inject, plus just didn't make sense... this try wasn't going to work...
8b_Que Damper needle didnt work.png
(326.54 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Resolved Silicone Refill Part 3 Re: Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

Post by Mdewitt134 » 16 Feb 2020 20:38

Since injecting wasn't going to work, now I looked for a way to remove the que damper shaft from the top: i noticed there were 2 sloped "tabs" on the damper shaft, with slots for the shaft to rotate. So the next try was carefully removing the shaft by depressing the tabs and lifting the shaft (did not want to remove any springs or retainers either): Note red arrows, 1 &2 are the two sloped retaining tabs in slots, and #3 is simply a guide, no actual tab to retain:
9_Que Damper retain locate.png
(599.2 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Another view, I've painted the two retaining tabs yellow... extremely important to depress them carefully (i used two small screwdrivers, but realized later long needlenose would have worked well) to allow the damping shaft to move upward to allow the silicone chamber access from the top of the mechanism plate:
10_Que Damper retaining tabs.png
(503.96 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Now with the Que Damper shaft removed, you can see what the shaft looks like and the chamber where the silicone is supposed to be... virtually all the silicone was gone, just a little on the sides of the shaft catching the gap between chamber and shaft, not enough...
11_Que Damper shaft removed.png
(379.74 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Now to fill up the chamber with silicone: by the length of the shaft, it should actually "dip" into the silicone in the chamber, but I also put silicone on the walls and shaft to be sure i have full contact... later i realized excess silicone was pushed out that small "tower" with a hole in the center.
13_Que Damper filling chamber.png
(568.96 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Here is a view of the silicone chamber filled up and cleaned...
14_Que Damper chamber filled clean.png
(604.9 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Finally I carefully replaced the Que shaft into the silicone damper chamber, and the excess silicone pushed out the bottom, so be careful to catch it... it's stick and messy.

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Silicone Refill Solved Summary Re: Technics SL-Q200 Cue Issue

Post by Mdewitt134 » 16 Feb 2020 20:44

Now reassemble, carefully positioning the sub-frame, be sure gap in big gear lines up with the gear on the bottom of the spindle, and carefully replace the wires, shield, and screws.

Now it's fixed completely and working well! could move slower, so I think I'll get either 60k or 100k cst if i do this again.
15_SL Q200 fully operational.png
(722.77 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Some final tips:
1) fasten tonearm into the arm support to maintain proper position when you remove and reinstall the auto mechanism sub-frame assembly

2) the first time you power upthe TT after this work, you should have the que in the UP position and the stylus guard on to protect in case of any unexpected movements!!

3) the first time you start it, expect it to move and try to rehome, it happens to me every time, just follow step 2 above!!

Best of luck, mike