Technics Cover Repair

turning japanese
Hermanator1971

Re: Technics Cover Repair

Post by Hermanator1971 » 23 Sep 2019 20:56

Hi Lowlander2, is it possible to have a pair of this product?
How can I get them?
Thanks !

Monkey_Relish
Australia

Post by Monkey_Relish » 24 Sep 2019 15:20

Hi,

If you get any more sets printed up, I will buy a pair.

Mr Relish

Monkey_Relish
Australia

Post by Monkey_Relish » 25 Sep 2019 05:41

@Lowlander2, you could put your design on Shapeways, just like the guy who designed the SL-1300, 1400, 1500 MK2 cue lever mechanism replacement did. You get payment for your design work, without the hassle of dealing with deliveries and postage. Plus, the part is readily available to anyone, anytime.

You would be my personal hero.

Just a thought.

Mr Relish

Lowlander2

Post by Lowlander2 » 25 Sep 2019 19:16

I will definitely have a look at Shapeways, thanks for the hint.

People buying the 3D parts from Shapeways will still need matching screws though, because without them it just won't look right.

tfaison
United States of America

Post by tfaison » 29 Oct 2019 14:58

Good morning. I would really love to have a set of these as well for my SL-D1. Thank you!!

tripl3try
United States of America

Post by tripl3try » 10 Nov 2019 23:15

Hello,

Is there any way I can buy a set of these? I'm afraid one of the hinges just broke on the dust cover of my SL-3300.

Selskar
Ireland

Post by Selskar » 14 Nov 2019 22:16

Hi Lowlander2
I have precisely the same difficulty with a vintage Technics Turntable I bought recently. The perspex protrusions at the rear of the dust cover are snapped off. I think your solution is ingenious. In your article you say that you have some spare hinges from your design. Are they metal? If so could you quote me a price for a pair of them including postage to Dublin Ireland. Many Thanks!
Selskar

Lowlander2

Post by Lowlander2 » 15 Nov 2019 19:45

Hi Selskar,

the 3D printed brackets are made from sintered plastic, a strong flexible plastic material. Among the materials the 3D printing service offers, I considered this the most suitable for the application. For roughly the same price I can get sintered alumide, which is an aluminium-plastic-mix with a greyish, slightly grainy finish. Both materials have the same stability grading (7 out of 8 points), but the sintered plastic has one more precision point than alumide.

The print shop offers silver - as in real silver - casting as well for about 300 Euros a piece, so if you want to give your turntable a REALLY special treatment...

See you,
Low

Selskar
Ireland

Post by Selskar » 15 Nov 2019 21:58

Hi there.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I think I'll pass on the silver version particularly as I didn't pay a great sum for the deck. However you haven't given a ball park figure for the sintered aluminide or plastic version? Should I be sitting down when I hear the figure?
Selslsr

ZoKtorR
Belgium

Post by ZoKtorR » 19 Nov 2019 20:16

Hi Low,

Thanks a lot for the great design. Wouldn't it be a great idea to put the design on Thingiverse, where everyone can download the model and make their Technics better? There would still be plenty of people willing to buy the part from you, but others who have a 3D printer (like moi) would certainly benefit.

Cheers,
Dirk

Selskar
Ireland

Post by Selskar » 20 Nov 2019 14:09

Hi Lowlander2
I tried to send this reply previously but I don't know if it reached you. I'm not too au fait with computer technology. The price you quote in the PM seems fair. Can I pay you via Pay Pal? If so let me know, send me a e-maui address by P.M. and once you receive payment I'll give you an address to send the hinges to. I bought the deck as part of a package deal. To be honest the replacment stylus cost more than the unit but I'm enjoying the fact that it's working well and sounds great.
Regards
Selskar

Lowlander2

Post by Lowlander2 » 21 Nov 2019 07:49

Hi Dirk,

thanks for the kudos. I've been thinking about uploading my design to some 3D printing portal, but folks will still need - apart from a tough printing material - the matching screws, which took me weeks to find a single source for. Without those screws, it will just not look right.

What I can do in the future is contact the VE admins to figure out a way to provide binary files in the DIY download section and eventually donate the design to VE.

See you,
Low

ZoKtorR
Belgium

Post by ZoKtorR » 21 Nov 2019 09:13

Hi Lowlander,

Thanks for your reply. About the screws - I'm sure they may be hard to find, but if you would mention their brand & specification it won't be too hard for the good people of Thingiverse to get them themselves. If you would still like to make some money of your design (which is perfectly understandable) there is an option on Thingiverse to add a price tag.

The printing material won't be much of a problem, there's tons of filament materials out there that will be able to perform adequately.

Cheers, and thanks,
Dirk

Tom_Technics

Post by Tom_Technics » 21 Nov 2019 13:49

Lowlander2 wrote:
21 Nov 2019 07:49
Hi Dirk,

thanks for the kudos. I've been thinking about uploading my design to some 3D printing portal, but folks will still need - apart from a tough printing material - the matching screws, which took me weeks to find a single source for. Without those screws, it will just not look right.

What I can do in the future is contact the VE admins to figure out a way to provide binary files in the DIY download section and eventually donate the design to VE.

See you,
Low
I'm sure folks will be able to find a set of screws that work well enough to allow them to use the hinges. If one wishes for an exact cosmetic match, I'm sure your supplier will have a website and can ship worldwide. Nevertheless, I doubt the screw type is totally unique to your supplier and not a standardised machine screw.

Selskar
Ireland

Post by Selskar » 29 Nov 2019 20:42

Hi
I've recently received a replacement set of hinges supplied by "Lowlander2" and I have successfully fitted both. I am delighted with the results. The machine I am trying to breath new life into is a vintage Technics Quartz SL-Q202. The preparation and fitting of the hinges is relatively straight forward but as with any such undertaking the secret is to take your time. In my case I used a jigsaw with a sharp blade to trim off the residue of the protruding broken perspex hinge. Lowlands2 has given very clear and helpful instructions in this forum and there is nothing I can I can add to them. If you're contemplating this repair my advice is don't hesitate. You'll find that the price Lowlander2 charges is very fair and of course the sense of satisfaction of a job well done..
Many thanks Lowlander2 for sharing your expertise.
Selskar.