What CD Player Do You Use?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Nnicola
United States of America

Re: What CD Player Do You Use?

Post by Nnicola » 13 Apr 2019 15:51

I have a California Audio Labs DX-1 CD player.

The DX-1 is the only CD player I own even though I have 3 audio systems in my house. The truth is that I do not listen to CDs very often. I copied my CDs to iTunes a while ago and have not purchased new CDs in a while. I listen to vinyl, and I listen to my digital music via the Apple Lossless files on iTunes played through an NAD DAC 2, or the DAC in my Harman Kardon HK 3490 receiver. I prefer the NAD DAC 2 as it sounds closer to "analog" than the DAC in my HK 3490.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 15 Apr 2019 12:32

Nnicola wrote:
13 Apr 2019 15:51
I have a California Audio Labs DX-1 CD player.

The DX-1 is the only CD player I own even though I have 3 audio systems in my house. The truth is that I do not listen to CDs very often. I copied my CDs to iTunes a while ago and have not purchased new CDs in a while. I listen to vinyl, and I listen to my digital music via the Apple Lossless files on iTunes played through an NAD DAC 2, or the DAC in my Harman Kardon HK 3490 receiver. I prefer the NAD DAC 2 as it sounds closer to "analog" than the DAC in my HK 3490.
I liked reading your post. I have three methods to listen to iTunes. The one I perceive to be best in all manner is usb to OPPO 205 DAC up sampling to 24/192 for all iTunes files from AAC to ALAC and AIFF. This method does require a monitor and click sequence at Computer, TV remote, and Player remote to enjoy. In fact, I needed to write down the sequence, not being able to remember it all. The inconvenient process however gets me sound which even makes AAC files come alive. At any rate, the whole iTunes experience is so good that I too do not buy CDs much anymore. I do still purchase a few dozen hybrid SACDs annually, since they present the best experience of all.

Boondock_Saint
United States of America

Post by Boondock_Saint » 27 Apr 2019 21:40

Currently I'm using a Denon DN-1800F. I"m not a DJ, it's just FUN!
DN-1800F.jpg
(16.75 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
The controller (the top half) has a 10' cable and feet on the bottom so you can put it away from the transports. As well, it will play each in order or one song from one disk then one from the other etc. It sounds great and plays just about anything you put in it. You can find these on e-bay etc. Mine came from a sam-ash clearance on e-bay for $80 shipped!

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 27 Apr 2019 22:22

Boondock_Saint wrote:
27 Apr 2019 21:40
Currently I'm using a Denon DN-1800F. I"m not a DJ, it's just FUN!
DN-1800F.jpg

The controller (the top half) has a 10' cable and feet on the bottom so you can put it away from the transports. As well, it will play each in order or one song from one disk then one from the other etc. It sounds great and plays just about anything you put in it. You can find these on e-bay etc. Mine came from a sam-ash clearance on e-bay for $80 shipped!
Interesting. I didn`t know that these DJ CD players are good for hifi use. :) Sometimes it would be a good idea to have double CD deck. Denon means quality, but I doubt that other DJ CD players like ION and similar chinese brews are on the same rank.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 28 Apr 2019 01:36

Recently got a Sony-UBP-X1000ES universal player for my main system so that I can play quadraphonic cd's

Bedroom system uses an old Aiwa XC 005, trusty old b****r. I have had exceptional dependability out of all my Aiwa equipment through the years.

I can't believe that the automatic spell checker prevents you from using the word b u g g e r on here.

EfeTe
Argentina

Post by EfeTe » 28 Apr 2019 23:49

Had a number of players over the years but the end game for me is the PS Audio Directstream Memory Player in conjunction with my PS Audio dac. Heavenly.

Kalib
Sweden

Post by Kalib » 15 Jun 2019 10:04

Happy with my Naim CD5i after my cambridge 851 broke.

abacus

Post by abacus » 12 Aug 2019 06:17

Cambridge Audio 752BD.
It plays all regular and hi-res formats.
Can stream media from my network.
Does all my digital stuff in one box.
Great !

:)

LN Cree
Netherlands

Post by LN Cree » 12 Aug 2019 09:25

hobie1dog wrote:
28 Apr 2019 01:36
Recently got a Sony-UBP-X1000ES universal player for my main system so that I can play quadraphonic cd's

Bedroom system uses an old Aiwa XC 005, trusty old b****r. I have had exceptional dependability out of all my Aiwa equipment through the years.

I can't believe that the automatic spell checker prevents you from using the word b u g g e r on here.
Haha yeah b u g g e r means something else it other english speaking realms.... Or rather has multiple meanings, one of which would be prone to censoring...

Anyway, I've got a Pioneer PD-M900 reference Cd player, of the reknowned 6-CD cassette type multiple cd players. Have a bunch of 6-cd cassettes and a single play one as well. Never had a problem with it since new, but don't use it all the time anyway. I've always liked the feature of loading the 6 cd's and pushing random play. Even the remote still works good but other than using it to adjust volume and play/stop is a pita to mess with.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 13 Aug 2019 02:10

I upgraded by getting rid of my Onkyo changer and picking up a new Sony Changer. I purchased the Onkyo as a new unit last year, and at first it seemed fine, but I noticed that the sound of the selections would cut out at either a high volume or with high quality cds recorded with wide music ranges. I tried cleaning each disc before playing them and it helped marginally, but the player would return to playing with spotty and random cutting of sound. I then realized that the unit was of poor quality being that I've had many players that would play well with almost no maintenance or cleaning of discs.

Things got so bad that I stopped playing my cd player; I made up my mind to just buy another player and rid myself of the Onkyo. The beauty of shopping with Amazon is that they are very liberal with returns. So after a phone call, I got rid of the Onkyo and bought the Sony. I've had Sony players in the past, and they are definitely a high quality brand. The Sony wasn't cheap as a new unit, but I learned (I also knew) that you get what you pay for. Now I've got a great cd unit.

BirdsOf-Fire
United States of America

Post by BirdsOf-Fire » 21 Oct 2019 23:28

My listening system is fairly simple. I currently have a homemade passive pre-amp with redundant Swiss gold contact selector switch and a custom Penny & Giles 50K fader, all wired with MIT blended Litz wire, that connects to a PASS Aleph 3 clone I assembled from a kit bought on EBAY. Speakers are Wayne Garcia's favorites (He's the editor of the Absolute Sound Magazine) Magnepan MG-1.7, sold by the factory as mirror imaged matched sets. Cables are custom stranded silver WBT with WBT locking RCA plugs. Optical discs are spun by a cheap Sony, with the coax digital signal going to my original Proceed PDP Digital/Analog convertor. Analog is spun by a used Denon DP-3000 on a modified plinth with an SME 3009 Type II improved tonearm holding a Denon DL-103 cartridge. That feeds a custom Mark Levinson clone phono preamp made from boards I bought on EBAY. Since the Sony optical disc device just spins the CDs and DVDs, I guess I'm really listening to the Proceed PDP. It buffers, de-jitters, and re-clocks the digital signal coming from the drive, anyway.

ossy
Sweden

Post by ossy » 25 Oct 2019 11:44

Hallo!
I have an answer regarding an outdated Cd player.
I always use a S.A.T cdfix. (Old Bladelius).
I have others too, but……..

marelindo
Portugal

Post by marelindo » 26 Oct 2019 19:09

Micromega Stage 6 cdp. Quality sound. As long as it works it will be my cdp.

ju90
England

Post by ju90 » 29 Oct 2019 17:54

Arcam dv135, a dvd player that is far cheaper than the equivalent cd player. Don't discount arcam dvd players that are amazing for the money that they are secondhand.

PederP

Post by PederP » 30 Oct 2019 21:40

In my main system I have a first generation Meridian 506 which has served me very well from new, and still delivers engaging music. Recently I added a Khadas dac which is incredible value for the money, but most of the time I use the built in Meridian dac. In the secondary system I have a NAD 5000 which is routed through a DacMagic100.

Peder