What CD Player Do You Use?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Domt100
England

Re: What CD Player Do You Use?

Post by Domt100 » 27 Jan 2019 18:26

A while ago my Rega Planet started misbehaving and as a stopgap i bought a Marantz Cd63 KI whilst I sent the Rega off for repair. 18 months later I still haven't had the Planet repaired. Up to that point I had been seriously impressed with the Rega especially with my collection of accoustic and classical recordings, less so with rock and blues to be honest. I knew the Marantz had a good reputation with testers but that was many years ago and I would have believed it would have been left in the dark ages by now. Whilst I admittedly haven't compared it to other high end new models i feel i would struggle to improve on the depth, detail and base definition that I am enjoying for the princely sum of £100.

It seems to match my Cyrus components and equally archaic Mission 752 floorstanders. Goes to prove the old adage that many a good tune can be played on an old fiddle.

I am considering changing the bi-amp arrangement to an integrated one as there is a lot of hum coming from the power amp and the choice of connections are limited now. If I opted for the Marantz PM 6006 UK would it be best to link it with analogue interconnects rather than use a digital connection? I am wondering if the KI DAC would be better than the one that comes with the PM6006? I guess connecting it digitally would defeat the on-board DAC in the KI.

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 30 Jan 2019 14:37

Two days ago, I was given a Marantz DV9500, because it won't play a DVD. I tried it on CD, and knew in about two seconds that it was a huge improvement over any other CD spinner I had. It weighs almost 19 pounds, btw.

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 30 Jan 2019 14:40

Domt100 wrote:
27 Jan 2019 18:26
A while ago my Rega Planet started misbehaving and as a stopgap i bought a Marantz Cd63 KI whilst I sent the Rega off for repair. 18 months later I still haven't had the Planet repaired. Up to that point I had been seriously impressed with the Rega especially with my collection of accoustic and classical recordings, less so with rock and blues to be honest. I knew the Marantz had a good reputation with testers but that was many years ago and I would have believed it would have been left in the dark ages by now. Whilst I admittedly haven't compared it to other high end new models i feel i would struggle to improve on the depth, detail and base definition that I am enjoying for the princely sum of £100.

It seems to match my Cyrus components and equally archaic Mission 752 floorstanders. Goes to prove the old adage that many a good tune can be played on an old fiddle.

I am considering changing the bi-amp arrangement to an integrated one as there is a lot of hum coming from the power amp and the choice of connections are limited now. If I opted for the Marantz PM 6006 UK would it be best to link it with analogue interconnects rather than use a digital connection? I am wondering if the KI DAC would be better than the one that comes with the PM6006? I guess connecting it digitally would defeat the on-board DAC in the KI.
I don't have a solution to your technical problems, but welcome to the Engine!

chartz

Post by chartz » 16 Feb 2019 22:05

I most of the time use an Arcam Delta 70-2. It is a supremely musical player and can nowadays be had for almost nothing.

Among other players of mine, a Denon DCD 1800 (with BASS), a B&O CD5500 (a gem this), and a Quad CD 66 I’ve just acquired.

I also love my old Philips CD 100 and 300, and my Sony CDP-101 and 501es.

There!

doctor fuse

Post by doctor fuse » 23 Feb 2019 09:14

I use an early 90s Denon DCD-670 I bought for $20. I bought it because I had been happy with another Denon CD player I had since the early 90s, but wanted one with Digital Out as I wanted to get a DAC (eventually got a PS Audio Digital Link III).

I just recently cut some racquet balls in half, and put them under a piece of plywood, and put the CDP on that. Sounds much better now, more holographic, like my vinyl rig.

It's amazing to me, how cheaply one can cobble together an excellent digital system.

You can luck out and get a decent turntable for a bargain, but eventually you will need a new needle, and finding a bargain on a good needle (and good needles DO sound better, IME) is like, er, finding a needle in a haystack (to mix unmixed metaphors).

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Feb 2019 09:33

doctor fuse wrote:
23 Feb 2019 09:14
I use an early 90s Denon DCD-670 I bought for $20. I bought it because I had been happy with another Denon CD player I had since the early 90s, but wanted one with Digital Out as I wanted to get a DAC (eventually got a PS Audio Digital Link III).

I just recently cut some racquet balls in half, and put them under a piece of plywood, and put the CDP on that. Sounds much better now, more holographic, like my vinyl rig.

It's amazing to me, how cheaply one can cobble together an excellent digital system.

You can luck out and get a decent turntable for a bargain, but eventually you will need a new needle, and finding a bargain on a good needle (and good needles DO sound better, IME) is like, er, finding a needle in a haystack (to mix unmixed metaphors).
The same could probably have been said about a good vinyl system a few years back when CD was more in vogue and vinyl was dismissed as obsolete and inferior. I take advantage of any bargains in either medium since in the end it's all about the music.

I have owned a Denon DCD-2560 since it was new and it has always served me well. It is a good quality machine.

doctor fuse

Post by doctor fuse » 23 Feb 2019 09:49

Tinkaroo wrote:
23 Feb 2019 09:33

The same could probably have been said about a good vinyl system a few years back when CD was more in vogue and vinyl was dismissed as obsolete and inferior. I take advantage of any bargains in either medium since in the end it's all about the music.

I have owned a Denon DCD-2560 since it was new and it has always served me well. It is a good quality machine.
Troo dat, neighbour.

I take advantage of any bargains in either medium as well ($20 Denon CD player with remote seems like a good example!).

music_mota_beer
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by music_mota_beer » 04 Mar 2019 00:28

Oppo UDP-205.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 04 Mar 2019 00:39

Sony-UBP-X1000ES

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 09 Mar 2019 00:04

Now using a Marantz CD6006.....just a wonderful CD player. Bought in like new condition for about 300.00.

Fire99
Canada

Post by Fire99 » 16 Mar 2019 00:44

Just purchased the Rega Saturn-R today after demoing the Apollo with my REGA Dac-r for two weeks and i must say I’m blown away how good it sounds- it definitely has an analogue warm sound.
95DC5A5B-252D-4697-9F3A-0AE19702E749.jpeg
(250.09 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
27DDA763-1FFA-41F3-9B94-D3992A0C39D4.jpeg
(279.55 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 16 Mar 2019 10:53

Domt100 wrote:
27 Jan 2019 18:26
A while ago my Rega Planet started misbehaving and as a stopgap i bought a Marantz Cd63 KI whilst I sent the Rega off for repair.
But it is not this one? Marantz has similar names for very different models. If I wanted a CD player it would be this one, very well designed and good looking thing. Or Marantz CD-73, which looks like a cassette deck. Not later CD players without any feeling for aesthetics.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... d-63.shtml

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 17 Mar 2019 19:19

I bought an OPPO-205 for multi-channel SACD pleasure via multi-channel analog connection to my preamp. Somewhat to my surprise, I am also able to enjoy multi-channel downloads to thumb drive gaplessly via drive's connection to the OPPO's usb front port; and, I can enjoy my iTunes Library through usb connection between computer and OPPO, whereby AAC, ALAC, and AIFF files are up sampled by the OPPO to 24/192, sounding better than any other means to enjoy those files in any manner that better can be discerned.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 17 Mar 2019 19:36

Sterling1 wrote:
17 Mar 2019 19:19
I bought an OPPO-205 for multi-channel SACD pleasure via multi-channel analog connection to my preamp. Somewhat to my surprise, I am also able to enjoy multi-channel downloads to thumb drive gaplessly via drive's connection to the OPPO's usb front port; and, I can enjoy my iTunes Library through usb connection between computer and OPPO, whereby AAC, ALAC, and AIFF files are up sampled by the OPPO to 24/192, sounding better than any other means to enjoy those files in any manner that better can be discerned.
It's too bad Oppo is out of production. That was a great 'bargain' player, and I've yet to see something be the obvious successor.

edit: yea, I'm referring to the 205.. you did get a lot for the price.

royal_mile

Post by royal_mile » 30 Mar 2019 11:49

I'm not sure how long it will last but I recently acquired this early Denon DCD-1500 in silver. The black finish was more popular but I really like the silver on some of these 1980s players.

It was made in around 1987. No digital-out on this one but it sounds warm and detailed through my Pioneer SA-7800.
I was using a B&O 6500, a lovely machine but seriously inconvenient to use through a non-B&O amp.