What CD Player Do You Use?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
hebridean
Scotland

Re: What CD Player Do You Use?

Post by hebridean » 05 Oct 2018 18:08

Quad CD66. Best i've owned and i've had a few.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 14 Oct 2018 19:50

I don't play CDS's anymore. Every CD I purchase is ripped to my music server as a FLAC file using EAC. EAC does bit perfect rips.

I still play plenty of vinyl.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 15 Oct 2018 09:49

I picked up an ASTIN trew AT3000 yesterday and I'm very impressed.

donovan

Post by donovan » 20 Oct 2018 19:34

Pioneer DVD-V7400 Industrial DVD Player. Makes an excellent transport too, if desired.

rufusfirefly
Great Britain

Post by rufusfirefly » 20 Oct 2018 21:23

I have owned various Technics, Pioneer, Cyrus, Sony and Yamaha players over the years but about 18 years ago I bought a cheap S901 by Wharfedale. It sounded far superior to anything I had owned before but it gave up the ghost with a fatal no disk error. So for the next 15 years I kept an eye out for another S901 which really should not have sounded good at all - but it did! Kind of like the NAD 3020e amplifier which on paper should have been just average but put big smiles on peoples' faces.

A few years ago one turned up on eBay with no remote and no bids.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1864/445 ... e8bf_k.jpg20180908_152548 by Rufus Firefly, on Flickr

EfeTe
Argentina

Post by EfeTe » 22 Oct 2018 04:28

Question guys. Does any of you own and use any player (SACD player that is) through its I2S out and into a compatible DAC, and get good results?

I know it can be done and it's being done with MSB, PS Audio players etc but was wondering if anyone's had some joy with your typical appliance store ones i.e. Sony BDP, Pioneer etc. We've learned from experience that good, or functional, or effective doesn't need to equal very expensive.

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 11 Nov 2018 00:16

I use a 1989 Sony CDP-228ESD. It sounds wonderful, and I dig all the programming functions and the big display. I love the looks of these late 80's CD-players with all the buttons and symbols and marks in the display! The spindle motor seems to be a little tired after years and years of heavy use, manifesting itself in occasional skipping on the first track of a CD, but that's really the only issue I've had with it. Haven't even needed to replace the belt for the loading tray! It seems less prone to skip on the first track when warmed up, and older CDs (as well as CD-Rs! Provided they've been burned at low speed) generally seem less likely to skip than post-2000 CDs. I really should go over the motor with some deoxit, and in case it ever gets any worse I have sourced a replacement motor. I suppose a re-cap might be advisable as well in a not too distant future. Great CD-player anyway, grab one if you find one! It has both optical and coax digital outputs in case the onboard Burr Brown PCM58P chips somehow doesn't satisfy you.

Paulo Ribeiro
Portugal

Post by Paulo Ribeiro » 11 Nov 2018 02:10

At this moment i'm using a Transcend USB optical drive, going to a MINIX NEO Z83-4 mini computer, playing music with Foobar2000 player software, outputing thru USB to an RME ADI2 DAC. This setup also allows me to play music coming from an external hard disk and from music streaming sources like Spotify, internet radio (streamWriter), etc. It's a very versatile and outstanding music system.

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 26 Nov 2018 05:10

I'm using my Denon DCD-3300 again...lubed the loading mechanism, replaced the felt ring on the puck that rides on the top of the CD and ran a couple of CD lens cleaners. The thing starts skipping after two or three discs, and I don't know why. Sound quality is very good, however.

Besides the fixed Denon, I recently acquired a Sonly DVP-S7000, which may yet replace the Denon...

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 26 Nov 2018 11:59

EfeTe wrote:
22 Oct 2018 04:28
Question guys. Does any of you own and use any player (SACD player that is) through its I2S out and into a compatible DAC, and get good results?

I know it can be done and it's being done with MSB, PS Audio players etc but was wondering if anyone's had some joy with your typical appliance store ones i.e. Sony BDP, Pioneer etc. We've learned from experience that good, or functional, or effective doesn't need to equal very expensive.
A typical appliance store would sell Sony Ultra BluRay Players and some of those players will play multi-channel SACD for output via HDMI, so, anyone can enjoy multi-channel SACD music with decoding from their surround sound AVR or pre/pro if it has HDMI inputs.

EfeTe
Argentina

Post by EfeTe » 26 Nov 2018 18:19

Thanks mate -has it been the case for you? Have you actually used such application in your setup?

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 27 Nov 2018 12:35

42519946935_375b361e23_z.jpg
(67.68000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
EfeTe wrote:
26 Nov 2018 18:19
Thanks mate -has it been the case for you? Have you actually used such application in your setup?
My home theater amplification only excepts S/PDIF, both optical Toslink and IEC 958 coaxial, no HDMI inputs, since HDMI did not exist back in 2000 when most of my stereo and home theater equipment was purchased. Therefore, the way I enjoy multi-channel SACD, since multi-channel PCM SACD does not carry over IEC 958 or Toslink, just HDMI, is via an OPPO UDP-205 Player, which decodes multi-channel SACD for RCA output to my multi-channel analog preamplifier (Sony TA-P9000ES). If I were starting out today, I would not take the route I have taken, since HDMI is pretty much a standard digital transport means from source to amplification components today, whereby, the amplification does the decoding. Bottom line, buy a Sony BD Player, one which decodes multi-channel SACD and connect it via HDMI to an AVR for multi-channel SACD pleasure; plus, you will get DSP processing power from the AVR to adjust your speakers to properly integrate a subwoofer too.

eenascar

Post by eenascar » 08 Dec 2018 18:00

Cambridge azur351-c

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 08 Dec 2018 19:09

Sony 1000ES universal player, as I still like the quadraphonic recordings that they are still releasing on SACD and the ones on DVD-Audio

BlazingArrow74
United States of America

Post by BlazingArrow74 » 20 Dec 2018 23:32

I use an Arcam FMJ 27+, but get lots of "no disc" errors with CDs (strangely, burned discs load fine); it's also painful to hear the thing struggling to load said-discs, heh. I bought a replacement laser for pretty cheap years ago(the entire transport replacement was out of reach), but I'm not confident about installing it. It's not that I couldn't get it in there (I've opened it up before to regrease the transport rails), it's that I'm not sure simply replacing it is all that needs to be done. If it needed calibration (laser intensity pots, mechanical angling of the laser head, etc.), I'd be screwed.

I also use a Pioneer DVi79 universal player. It sounds good with CD & DVD-A, but not so much with SACD. They are both older units --- neither completely dedicated to audio, but generally well regarded. The Arcam in particular has a really nice, healthy output.