SACD question

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
diddlybopper

SACD question

Post by diddlybopper » 13 Nov 2019 18:56

I have access to hundreds if not thousands of CD's how to recognize the SACD without having to pick each one and read the back cover.Arent they marked on the case spine?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: SACD question

Post by jdjohn » 13 Nov 2019 22:54

Sometimes...not always

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 14 Nov 2019 01:08

Older SACDs and classical labels tend to have the rounded corner boxes. Newer titles either have standard CD cases like the Dutton Vocalion reissues. SACD boxes seem to be a rare breed nowadays. If the spines do have something, it tends to be the SACD logo without text in my experience. I usually don't see them in the wild mixed in with CDs at used record shops, thrift stores or library/yard/garage sales. I have found one at a thrift store in 10 years and one at a library book sale. My LRS has a very small Hi-Def section that I raid every time I go in.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 04 Dec 2019 11:15

There are some hybrid SACDs out there from the Rolling Stones, which have ZERO indication on container that they are hybrid SACDs. These were produced in 2002 and have card stock rather than jewel case containers. Now some reality, folks who actually buy SACDs don't generally sell them, perhaps because they can't easily copy them; thus, the only time you will see an SACD at a used book store is when a CD/SACD Library is inherited and the folks inheriting just want to get rid of the Library and the gear that played such media.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 04 Dec 2019 23:12

Or maybe people who own SA-CDs don't sell them because they like them ? In any case just strictly talking about the disc itself I get the impression that hybrid SA-CD/CDs are heavier than standard CDs but maybe that's just my imagination .

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 05 Dec 2019 00:47

Shadowman82 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 23:12
Or maybe people who own SA-CDs don't sell them because they like them ? In any case just strictly talking about the disc itself I get the impression that hybrid SA-CD/CDs are heavier than standard CDs but maybe that's just my imagination .
Of course that's why they don't sell them because they like them, it's understood.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 05 Dec 2019 10:45

Shadowman82 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 23:12
Quality made discs are always heavier than standard mass produced garbage. CD was invented as something audiophile, that is made on the highest standard. Not for everyone. But at the end it became worse than with cassettes, 8-tracks and other things for average Joe`s. The last CD, which I got from Japan, known as SHM-CD (super high material CD), which still plays in a standard player ,looks like made of glass and is much heavier.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 06 Dec 2019 02:59

But seeing that CDs or SA-CD are completely digital does that material thickness really matter ? I mean sure a thinner one might break easier but disc thickness shouldn't really affect the sound with digital as it does on Vinyl .

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 06 Dec 2019 08:26

This is a can of worms!
A CD player is mechanical and succeptable
to tracking errors from vibrations or scratches or poorly pressed pits and lands. But the player has inbuilt error correction.

It is supposed to be audible that when error correction is operating, that this can negatively affect sound on a high quality playback system with sensitive ears. So any method of improving the reading of the data to prevent the error correction operating should improve the sound.

That is the theory.

I don't know if it's true for everyone. But some say they hear it to be true.

I will avoid saying it's a definitive truth.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Dec 2019 11:36

Shadowman82 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 02:59
But seeing that CDs or SA-CD are completely digital does that material thickness really matter ? I mean sure a thinner one might break easier but disc thickness shouldn't really affect the sound with digital as it does on Vinyl .
You got it right, and in fact, the CD Redbook specifies the CD surface to land and pit distance, meaning a disc made to another specification cannot be called a Compact Disc.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 06 Dec 2019 21:16

Yeah I buy the fact that material thickness and quality can affect the sound quality on Vinyl because it's all mechanical but with digital I really don't think it makes a difference .