Track Collection Play Order

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
NOYB
United States of America

Track Collection Play Order

Post by NOYB » 06 Nov 2019 09:56

I have a situation here where track 1 of an album is a 3 song collection like so:
Side One
1. Eve Of Destruction
Don't Blame God
II Chronicles 7:14
2. . . .

Can give them sequential file names like 1a, 1b, 1c. But that doesn't ensure the play order.
Would like to do something like track 1a, 1b, 1c or 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 in the metadata to set the order. But track number seems to only accept numeric integer.

Closest I've been able to get to the correct play order is to use a combination of track number and title sort order like this:
Track: 0, Title: Eve Of Destruction
Track: 1, Title: Don't Blame God
Track: 1, Title: II Chronicles 7:14

Filename: Barry McGuire_Lighten Up_01a_Eve Of Destruction.flac metadata: Track: 0; Title: Eve Of Destruction
Filename: Barry McGuire_Lighten Up_01b_Don't Blame God.flac metadata: Track: 1; Title: Don't Blame God
Filename: Barry McGuire_Lighten Up_01c_II Chronicles.flac metadata: Track: 1; Title: II Chronicles

But that is not consistent in all players.

Would sure be nice if track numbers could accept things like:
1a, 1b, 1c, etc
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc

Obviously could set as tracks 1 - 12 instead of 1 - 10.

Any other ideas how to work this?

Thanks

Erin1

Re: Track Collection Play Order

Post by Erin1 » 08 Nov 2019 09:00

Obviously could set as tracks 1 - 12 instead of 1 - 10.

This is your solution.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Track Collection Play Order

Post by JoeE SP9 » 08 Nov 2019 23:55

If you set the player to list by album name the only other things you need to do is make sure you have gapless playback and shuffle off selected. You then select the first track of any multi song collection. This works with Music Bee, Foobar, Media Monkey and Winamp.

This may not work if you use your own tagging scheme. I let EAC do all the tagging. For those few recordings that the
EAC database doesn't recognize I add the album, artist and song title in EAC before ripping. EAC always adds the track number itself.

Incidentally, it's not necessary to place each ripped CD in a separate folder or to place multiple CD's from the same artist in the same folder. I have ~20K FLAC files in a single folder titled my CD collection. All the player programs I use take care of organizing everything. This includes the Audify music player on my Android phone.