What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
rcamp48
Canada
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Nov 2019 21:04

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by rcamp48 » 20 Nov 2019 13:57

I use 32 bit 7.1 surround sound at 192 khz with uncompressed wave files on my machine , with the SB0570 set to digital, on my big screen TV it sounds real nice. But each file is 1.5 GIG in size , luckily I have a 1 TB drive as drive C and a 2 TB drive as Drive D.

Russ

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5166
Joined: 23 Feb 2009 19:20
Location: Phildelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by JoeE SP9 » 21 Nov 2019 15:16

Where do you get such files?

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 843
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Sterling1 » 04 Dec 2019 12:06

My advertising agency began to produce radio commercials digitally in the late 80's with a Fostex device. It eliminated splice editing so production could be quicker and more economical plus yield higher profit; but, the downside was sound quality suffered. Later, by the time we began to deliver DATs to broadcasters the sound was on par to analog reel to reel. This quality was short lived however when it became possible to email mp3s to broadcasters. That process was fast, cheap, and yielded even more profit but the quality suffered again. Today, that quality rollercoaster is just history, since digital production and delivery has come of age, where even 256k sounds to most of us as being indistinguishable from 24/192, making it possible to be completely satisfied with Apple Music for presentation of any recorded music in the history of recorded music.

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 857
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 22:47

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Shadowman82 » 04 Dec 2019 23:15

"where even 256k sounds to most of us as being indistinguishable from 24/192"

To you maybe . I mean if Apple music makes you happy then that's fine but some people can tell the difference between CD and higher than CD resolution .

Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 675
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Issuesman666 » 07 Dec 2019 13:34

Thankfully I don't have this alleged ability to hear such higher resolutions.

https://medium.com/@skikirkwood/truth-l ... 65e56c97c4

NOYB
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 248
Joined: 01 Jul 2019 01:12

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by NOYB » 07 Dec 2019 14:13

Issuesman666 wrote:
07 Dec 2019 13:34
Thankfully I don't have this alleged ability to hear such higher resolutions.

https://medium.com/@skikirkwood/truth-l ... 65e56c97c4
That's a good article. Here's another.

Speaker Wire
A History
by Roger Russell

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 675
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Issuesman666 » 07 Dec 2019 19:42

I'm glad I don't have the special 'golden audiophile ears' or the expensive equipment to extract the alleged audible differences between cheap and expensive stuff in audio cables, speaker wires and high resolution digital audio.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 843
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Dec 2019 22:18

Issuesman666 wrote:
07 Dec 2019 19:42
I'm glad I don't have the special 'golden audiophile ears' or the expensive equipment to extract the alleged audible differences between cheap and expensive stuff in audio cables, speaker wires and high resolution digital audio.
Looking at your equipment list, seems you have a very, very nice system that would rival most anything out there not driven to an insane volume. Maybe post a pic sometime. I'd like to see your arrangement.

:D

Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 675
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Issuesman666 » 07 Dec 2019 22:42

Sterling1 wrote:
07 Dec 2019 22:18
Issuesman666 wrote:
07 Dec 2019 19:42
I'm glad I don't have the special 'golden audiophile ears' or the expensive equipment to extract the alleged audible differences between cheap and expensive stuff in audio cables, speaker wires and high resolution digital audio.
Looking at your equipment list, seems you have a very, very nice system that would rival most anything out there not driven to an insane volume. Maybe post a pic sometime. I'd like to see your arrangement.

:D
Well I'm thinking about swapping around components from the Main(Project) and Secondary(Technics) systems to test out some configurations. I think I want to put the cheaper Audioengine powered speakers/Subwoofer in the living room with the TV/DVD/TEAC system and the Studiomonitors and the Onkyo components in the man cave.But I will have to buy a decent DAC for that.

Not that there is anything too wrong with how they are now.

You have great equipment as well. Thanks.

Shadowman82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 857
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 22:47

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Shadowman82 » 08 Dec 2019 00:24

When it comes to thing like wires and cables I have to agree that allot of those really high end super expensive cables are snake oil but that wasn't what we were talking about , we were talking about bit and sampling rate and extensive tests have shown that some people can tell the difference between CD quality and better than CD quality resolution .

Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 675
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Issuesman666 » 08 Dec 2019 00:57

Shadowman82 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 00:24
When it comes to thing like wires and cables I have to agree that allot of those really high end super expensive cables are snake oil but that wasn't what we were talking about , we were talking about bit and sampling rate and extensive tests have shown that some people can tell the difference between CD quality and better than CD quality resolution .
Got a link to some of these 'extensive tests'?

Are you one of those people?

NOYB
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 248
Joined: 01 Jul 2019 01:12

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by NOYB » 10 Dec 2019 04:40

Some things never change.



Ginger: "Professor. Um, when you were in your teens. Didn't you ever go to a drive-in movie?"
Professor: "Once. But the curvature of the screen and fidelity of the sound made it impossible to enjoy the picture."
https://youtu.be/FIFdcHkZsrE?t=34

Erin1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 826
Joined: 18 Jul 2004 09:57

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Erin1 » 10 Dec 2019 10:27

Issuesman666 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 00:57

Are you one of those people?
Although you didn't ask me.
I would like to say that I can with some music, sometimes hear differences with different sample rates in AB comparisons.
The difference is usually if not always in the high frequencies. I think what I hear is a difference in the phase of the digital filter. Sometimes it seems like a little "something" is missing (in the high frequencies) in 44.1khz sample rates when compared with 48khz or 88.2 or 96khz. Last I checked, I couldn't hear a difference at all between music recorded at 96khz and 192khz.

But, even though I can hear a difference. I don't think 44.1khz sample rate sounds "bad". I think it sounds great.
I think 48khz sounds a little better in the high frequencies. When I record vinyl I use 48khz. 96khz gives a very, very subtle improvement over 48khz, which I personally don't feel is worth it for me because the files are over double the size of 44.1khz. I feel 48khz is the sweet spot for me personally.

Issuesman666
senior member
senior member
Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 675
Joined: 10 Mar 2014 20:05

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Issuesman666 » 10 Dec 2019 11:16

Erin1 wrote:
10 Dec 2019 10:27
Issuesman666 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 00:57

Are you one of those people?
Although you didn't ask me.
I would like to say that I can with some music, sometimes hear differences with different sample rates in AB comparisons.
The difference is usually if not always in the high frequencies. I think what I hear is a difference in the phase of the digital filter. Sometimes it seems like a little "something" is missing (in the high frequencies) in 44.1khz sample rates when compared with 48khz or 88.2 or 96khz. Last I checked, I couldn't hear a difference at all between music recorded at 96khz and 192khz.

But, even though I can hear a difference. I don't think 44.1khz sample rate sounds "bad". I think it sounds great.
I think 48khz sounds a little better in the high frequencies. When I record vinyl I use 48khz. 96khz gives a very, very subtle improvement over 48khz, which I personally don't feel is worth it for me because the files are over double the size of 44.1khz. I feel 48khz is the sweet spot for me personally.
I will try 48 Khz.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 843
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 16:28
Contact:

Re: What Sample Rate Do We Really Need?

Post by Sterling1 » 10 Dec 2019 23:27

This has been a fun thread. For sure, my ears are not good enough to discern any divergence between 256k and 24/192 as delivered in stereo from my OPPO-205's 8 ch. ESS Sabre ES9038PRO DAC up sampling input to 24/192,with one exception; and, this might just be my imagination running away with me. Typically, I listen to iTunes via Airport Express delivering 256k music at 16/44.1 to my Pre-Pro's DAP. It sounds great, no complaints; and, in fact, it sounds so good I no longer have interest in buying expensive hi-res downloads. Nevertheless, after I purchased the OPPO, I connected it to my PC via usb to see if that means to enjoy iTunes would sound better than the Airport Express route to my 20 year old Pre-Pro's DAP doing the decoding. Here's what surprised me: 50's and early 60's DOO WOP music sounded so detailed from the OPPO's DAC up sampling the AAC to 24/192, I believed I could discern the whereabouts of tape splice edits. Of course, not having been involved in the production of that music, I am clueless to where editing if any might have been placed; but, at any rate, while the tone of this music and other qualities are indistinguishable from the Airport Express means to it, I am convinced the OPPO's DAC is indeed extracting more detail from the music than Airport Express, maybe it's the OPPO DAC, perhaps the up sampling, the hard wired connection, or maybe it's just my imagination.