Post by Issuesman666 » 10 Sep 2019 23:48

Tool deserves better.

NOYB
United States of America

Re: AAC CD vs MP3 CD

Post by NOYB » 11 Sep 2019 03:23

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
10 Sep 2019 14:20
But comparing playing files on a smartphone to original Compact disc album release, it is another world of quality of sound.
How so?
I know that Bluetooth (depending on version features) will compress audio. But is wired (AUX) reducing audio quality too?

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 11 Sep 2019 03:33

Sunwire wrote:
10 Sep 2019 04:36
Weird.
There must be some other factor going on here.
Audio CDs that have the same elapsed time should have the same file size once the software converts them to the CD audio format.
The file size of the AAC or MP3 shouldn't matter, since they are being converted to the CD format before the software burns them to the CDR.
Well Sun.....those file sizes are showing on my playlist on ITunes......what happens to them once they get burned to CD I have no idea.....

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 11 Sep 2019 06:30

Yeah, I'm not disputing what you're seeing. I just wonder why it doesn't work.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 11 Sep 2019 16:19

Sunwire wrote:
11 Sep 2019 06:30
Yeah, I'm not disputing what you're seeing. I just wonder why it doesn't work.
I think ITunes might be kind of weird....lol

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 11 Sep 2019 22:52

One must remember that when starting with an AAC or MP3 file some of the music has already been discarded. That music can't be recovered.

Agrippa
Norway

Post by Agrippa » 12 Sep 2019 15:39

And converting an AAC file to MP3 will discard even more information.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 14 Sep 2019 03:15

Adamo0926 wrote:
03 Sep 2019 17:53
Was doing some research regarding burning CDs. Knowing that I could burn like 150 songs on a CD in MP3 format (a bit less if I were to use a 256 kbs bitrate), I wanted to ask you guys if any of you can hear an audible difference between a CD that was burned as a standard audio CD (AAC I assume) and a CD burned with music in the MP3 format (either 196 kbs or 256 kbs bitrate).

Also....can any of you say they hear a difference between MP3 files that are burned with 196 or 256 bitrates, respectively ?

If any of you can.....what would you say the difference is ? Dynamic range ? Low frequency or high frequency response ? Signal/Noise ratio ? etc

I just burned 2 CDs of Tool's new album "Fear Inoculum". One in standard audio AAC format (from Itunes), and the other I converted the originally downloaded songs to MP3s and then burned the CD with the songs in MP3 format.

I just listened to some of the standard audio AAC format and just started listening to the MP3 format now. Listening with a Marantz CD 6006, Yamaha CR-2020 receiver and a pair of the original Advent Loudspeaker. Tone controls set at the flat position. MP3 format burned with the 196 kbs bitrate. Right now listening to the first song I don't hear much of a difference. But if there is a difference it sounds to me like the MP3 format might be a bit brighter and not quite as full on the bottom end. But if I am hearing that difference it's pretty subtle....
AAC is a much better algorithm than the obsoleted MP3, for a given bitrate, the AAC is superior (320 best sample rate). Apple Lossless or FLAC best yet.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 14 Sep 2019 03:16

NOYB wrote:
11 Sep 2019 03:23
Vinylfreak86 wrote:
10 Sep 2019 14:20
But comparing playing files on a smartphone to original Compact disc album release, it is another world of quality of sound.
How so?
I know that Bluetooth (depending on version features) will compress audio. But is wired (AUX) reducing audio quality too?
Wired is lossless. Bluetooth is very lossy. No better than MP3 grade at high rates (and this is assuming APT-X is used on both ends of the connection). Voice grade.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 14 Sep 2019 19:13

Ok so let me ask this......say I wanted to burn a CD as data so that I have over 100 songs on it. And I wanted to use that disc for playback on both my home and car systems......what would be the best format to use to have the best
possible fidelity ?

So far on this thread I have read that AAC is a better format than the outdated MP3. I've read about loseless and lossy...exactly what does that refer to ? The degree of musical information that is lost or compromised by certain formats ?

Just using logic I would think that burning an a CD in audio format would sound better than one burned as data....would that be a true statement ? And if so, how much of a difference in sound would there be between audio and data versions ? Of course, I could just burn a data version right now and listen for myself....

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 14 Sep 2019 19:55

You need to see what your car system is able to play. Many won't play anything but audio CDs.
The statement that mp3 is obsolete is completely false.
Completely. It is the most popular format in the world, by FAR.

Audio CD won't necessarily sound better than data.
Do a web search for "lossy vs lossless audio formats" or similar. There are many good descriptions.
Here's one good summary:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/audio-fil ... ght-needs/
Best sounding formats for data CD are lossless, but if you are downloading files from Apple or some other online source, it is probably best to leave the file in the received format. You can't improve the sound by converting it. Usually, conversion will cause some degradation.
I think most people can't hear any difference between an uncompressed or lossless format (best sound) and a lossy format with a bitrate of 255kbps or higher. If the bitrate is lower, the sound quality starts to suffer.
I don't like the sound of anything at 128kbps or lower.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 14 Sep 2019 20:52

Sunwire wrote:
14 Sep 2019 19:55
You need to see what your car system is able to play. Many won't play anything but audio CDs.
In which case there will be no point in converting to any format before burning the CD. Only about 74 to 80 minutes will fit on a redbook CD regardless of whether it is burned from a 128kbps MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV, etc.

Compact Disc Digital Audio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_D ... ital_Audio

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 14 Sep 2019 22:18

Sunwire wrote:
14 Sep 2019 19:55
The statement that mp3 is obsolete is completely false.
Completely. It is the most popular format in the world, by FAR.

Audio CD won't necessarily sound better than data.
Do a web search for "lossy vs lossless audio formats" or similar. There are many good descriptions.
Here's one good summary:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/audio-fil ... ght-needs/
Best sounding formats for data CD are lossless, but if you are downloading files from Apple or some other online source, it is probably best to leave the file in the received format. You can't improve the sound by converting it. Usually, conversion will cause some degradation.
I think most people can't hear any difference between an uncompressed or lossless format (best sound) and a lossy format with a bitrate of 255kbps or higher. If the bitrate is lower, the sound quality starts to suffer.
I don't like the sound of anything at 128kbps or lower.
Hey Sun.....I'm only curious about the amount of songs I could fit onto a CD without having it sound awful compared
to an audio CD format.

All I have done so far is download songs from Apple ITunes in AAC audio format and I converted them to MP3 audio format and I really can't hear any difference in sound quality. While MP3 audio format does not allow me to fit 100+ songs on a CD, it did allow me to fit the entire 87 minutes of the new Tool album on an 80 minute CD.

I'm going to try to burn a CD in data format then see where it plays and listen for myself.

Also....just checked the formats on ITunes that I can convert the default AAC Audio file to....they are as follows:

AAC Encoder (which I assume is the default when downloading songs on ITunes)
AIFF Encoder (have no idea what this is)
Apple Lossless Encoder (also have no idea what this is)
MP3 Encoder
WAV Encoder

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 14 Sep 2019 23:33

MP3s can be encoded at a lot of different bitrates.
The lower the bitrate, the worse it will sound.
This page gives you an idea of the file size for each bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the larger the file size.
http://www.audiomountain.com/tech/audio-file-size.html

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 21 Sep 2019 23:27

Well I burned a data CD of about 55 songs. These songs had been previously burned as audio CDs onto 2 discs. The data disc plays in my Marantz CD6006, which of course it would. It also plays in the semi-cheapo Pioneer Radio/CD player that I had installed in my 2005 Altima about 4 years ago. However the stock CD changer in my 2007 Mustang chokes on it.

Not sure what year CD decks could start reading discs burned as data discs. But I guess it wasn't mainstream in 2007 yet.

Sound wise....I can't hear a very big difference between the data and audio CDs on my Marantz player, if any. But maybe if I listen a little more critically I will be able to pick up some differences. I just gave both CDs a brief listen.