Need new CD player with other digital capabilities

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: Need new CD player with other digital capabilities

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 19 Sep 2019 17:13

Today you can find Denon and Pioneer CD/network player all in one unit and prices are from somewhere 700 eur to 1000 eur, depends on the rank of model. I think it is the best idea if you want one unit that can play CD`s and can also connect to the web to listen internet radio or download files.

https://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/products/nc-50dab

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 19 Sep 2019 17:19

NOYB wrote:
16 Sep 2019 04:06
Also CDs have a relatively short life span. Some of the early stuff is already rotting. So those of you who have them should get them ripped ASAP while you still can. If you really need to play as CD then rip as image with cue sheet/file. From that you should be able to burn duplicates as needed.

Disc rot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot
Digital files can be lost even more easily. :D Not all of your CD `s are gonna rotten, but those which will, you can order new reissues on the web. That is how capitalism works, if you won`t buy, they will stop producing... and then we are back in the caves. =D>

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 19 Sep 2019 20:19

Digital files can be backed up more easily.
All CDs will rot. It's not a matter of if but when.
Not all CDs are available for purchase/replacement.
No. Back to the caves. In order to make a buck they will improve existing or produce something else.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 19 Sep 2019 21:51

I think that practically every album from mainstream music scene you want you can buy new on a CD (and more and more vinyl reissues also). But problem can be in quality, because new reissues are from licensed, public domain or subsidiary labels (which never saw original master tapes) and one original 1980`s CD release with mastering for vinyl will blow them away. But with digitalising to mp3 you also loose a lot of quality.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 19 Sep 2019 22:03

raphaelmabo wrote:
16 Sep 2019 07:14

But what about the harddisk breaking? :)
Harddisk are likes tyres on a car, they need to be replaced from time to time.
So with all music stored on a harddisk, you need a backup.
Yes, and you can buy several huge hard disks that will hold hundreds of thousands of songs for less than the $500-1000 the OP is planning to spend.
If you keep the CDs, they can be your backup, too.
I just don't see the point of pulling a CD out and having to put it away again every time you want to hear the music. And you can't mix the music on that CD with any other music at the same time, unless you have a CD jukebox.
The CD is not going to sound any better than the FLAC copy of the CD. It's just far less convenient.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 19 Sep 2019 23:58

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
19 Sep 2019 21:51
I think that practically every album from mainstream music scene you want you can buy new on a CD (and more and more vinyl reissues also). But problem can be in quality, because new reissues are from licensed, public domain or subsidiary labels (which never saw original master tapes) and one original 1980`s CD release with mastering for vinyl will blow them away. But with digitalising to mp3 you also loose a lot of quality.
I think you just made the case stronger for rip and backup.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 20 Sep 2019 10:40

Sunwire wrote:
19 Sep 2019 22:03
The CD is not going to sound any better than the FLAC copy of the CD. It's just far less convenient.
It depends on the equipment one have. I like the built-in D/A in my Marantz CD63 KI Signature. It's awesome. Now, I do have the Alchemist TS-1D 24/96 and the Cambridge DAC magic to play files from the computer, but the Marantz has qualities that I really like. And it can only play CD's, it doesn't have a digital input. So I keep my CD's.

Rahuul
India

Post by Rahuul » 06 Dec 2019 08:07

I have a decent CD transport and DAC. I have experienced the rot staring to affect the older CDs. I now plan to rip CDs to a NAS with a back up on an external hard disk. I think it works out much better to invest more towards the DAC and use your computer as the transport. Many of the newer DACs have excellent sound through the USB inputs which was not the case earlier.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 06 Dec 2019 17:56

So far, I have not noticed any of my very old CD's (back from 1986) "rotting"!

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 09 Dec 2019 23:15

Ottermel wrote:
06 Dec 2019 17:56
So far, I have not noticed any of my very old CD's (back from 1986) "rotting"!
Not noticing doesn't mean it is not happening.
If playing them is the measuring stick then by the time it is noticed it may be too late.
RIP them with EAC or CUE Tools and use accurip to see if they RIP cleanly. If there are errors the RIP may be correctable if it is not too severe.

Some of my CDs do have errors and can see that some of them are rotting by holding up to light to see the pin holes. Fortunately the errors were correctable by using the accurip database. :)
Even though the errors were not audible yet. It is nice to have them bit perfect RIP'ed.

I think to preserve them it is best to keep them in a dark, cool, low humidity environment (within reasonable parameters of course) to slow the decay. UV light is especially bad I think. So keep them out of the sun.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 10 Dec 2019 11:59

Why ripping average releases of older CD`s in times, when japanese are reissuing the whole catalogs of the same albums on standard CD`s, SHM-CD`s, Blu-spec CD`s and HQ CD`s? Those discs are superior to old US or european releases in terms of quality of disc production and sound. Sometimes you have to say yourself "enough is enough" and say goodbye to you old collection.

sebrof

Post by sebrof » 10 Dec 2019 17:07

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
10 Dec 2019 11:59
Why ripping average releases of older CD`s in times, when japanese are reissuing the whole catalogs of the same albums on standard CD`s, SHM-CD`s, Blu-spec CD`s and HQ CD`s?
I would guess it's because many/most people don't want to spend money for something they already have for something that may, or may not, sound better.