Bluetooth upgrade

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
zlartibartfast
United States of America

Bluetooth upgrade

Post by zlartibartfast » 15 May 2019 19:37

Thought I'd share this, for those using BT in their audio chain.

I needed to expand my system, and I decided to start with a better BT receiver. I selected the Audioengine B1. It's connected via TOSLINK to my Denon amp, so the DAC in the B1 is not in use. The B1 also has analog RCA out, but in my setup, the TOSLINK is easier.

WOW! what an improvement. The difference (in my setup) is the aptxHD (24 bit) vs. aptx (16 bit) protocol. And maybe better circuits, but I can't speak to that. Of course, you need to be transmitting aptxHD but a lot of the new phones support it. If your bluetooth is just reg'lar aptx or A2DP, the B1 will still work @ 16 bit.

My old (still useful) BT receiver is an Avantree Oasis, FWIW

vintagevinyllover
Great Britain

Re: Bluetooth upgrade

Post by vintagevinyllover » 04 Jun 2019 09:47

I have a B1 and can thoroughly recommend it. Currently using its internal dac and connected by phono to preamp. May experiment and bypass it to my main dac first in future but not done so because sounds good as it is. Connects easily, never drops out, best sound of any I tried sub £500. It will only connect to one device at a time but that’s not an issue for me. Highly recommended. Ps have used various devices with it: iphone, iPad, Mac, Samsung phone, windoze pc...all good.

Should say also that the better quality file you feed it the better...might seem obvious but you do get better sound with flac or alac compared to say an mp3 even at 360

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 14 Sep 2019 03:29

Even with APT-x on both sides of bluetooth, it's lossy compression and not avoidable. No Bluetooth is lossless. Bear that in mind. AAC at 320 is the best Bluetooth will pass. Anything higher with Bluetooth is a waste. No APT-x on both sides, BlueTooth is voice grade at best. Wired is best.

vintagevinyllover
Great Britain

Post by vintagevinyllover » 14 Sep 2019 08:55

Aptx HD is capable of passing 24/48 natively

ju90
England

Post by ju90 » 29 Oct 2019 17:59

Sony have ldac that allows hd formats to be sent via Bluetooth. However imho tool much is made of Bluetooth limitations, I say that as I have two apt-x units:

Arcam mini blix
Roberts radio bluetone

Both have similar specs, but the quality of the arcam DAC is such that they sound totally different.