I can cancel out crackle, but can you crackle out vinyl noise?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
VinyldechezPierre
France

Re: I can cancel out crackle, but can you crackle out vinyl noise?

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 21 Nov 2019 10:26

Anytime one uses any kind of noise suppressing software, one also removes music for the simple reason that a noise is actually a frequency and that frequency contains music as well. So, for that reason, it should not be used through a song or album; it is better to engage/disengage for the most annoying of noises only.

One of the best known person, in my circle anyway, to rip 78s does just that and his CDs are quite exquisite.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 21 Nov 2019 11:35

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
21 Nov 2019 10:26
Anytime one uses any kind of noise suppressing software, one also removes music for the simple reason that a noise is actually a frequency and that frequency contains music as well. So, for that reason, it should not be used through a song or album; it is better to engage/disengage for the most annoying of noises only.

One of the best known person, in my circle anyway, to rip 78s does just that and his CDs are quite exquisite.
Interestingly enough, I no longer have any compulsion to digitize my LP collection to remove pops which annoy me. As an Apple Music subscriber, I can now just download pretty much any music that has ever been recorded in the history of recorded music without download expense. It sounds great and no pops or other distortions. In fact, my experimentation suggests I cannot distinguish any divergence in sound between my LPs and same material downloaded from Apple Music, except from pops, which reveal I'm listening to the LP.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 21 Nov 2019 14:53

Sterling1 wrote:
21 Nov 2019 11:35
Interestingly enough, I no longer have any compulsion to digitize my LP collection to remove pops which annoy me.
I never did but I did digitize some friends' vinyl impossible to find at a decent price if at all. That was in the early years of CDs. Now, I've thrown out most if not all of them because quality CD versions eventually came out.

Of course, I'm talking about rock and pop music here. 78s are a different breed.

A lot of 78 recordings never made it to vinyl and fewer still to CD. A couple technical reasons come to mind right away:
- the actual speed of 78s varies greatly from record to record, from 70 to 85 rpm, maybe more; it even varies from one side to the other of some records.
- no RIAA curve for those guys. Each record company used its own variation...
- last but not least for a good rip, a lot of 78s are off centered. The person I mentioned earlier re-drills (kind of) the records before doing the rips.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 22 Nov 2019 00:10

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
21 Nov 2019 14:53
Sterling1 wrote:
21 Nov 2019 11:35
Interestingly enough, I no longer have any compulsion to digitize my LP collection to remove pops which annoy me.
I never did but I did digitize some friends' vinyl impossible to find at a decent price if at all. That was in the early years of CDs. Now, I've thrown out most if not all of them because quality CD versions eventually came out.

Of course, I'm talking about rock and pop music here. 78s are a different breed.

A lot of 78 recordings never made it to vinyl and fewer still to CD. A couple technical reasons come to mind right away:
- the actual speed of 78s varies greatly from record to record, from 70 to 85 rpm, maybe more; it even varies from one side to the other of some records.
- no RIAA curve for those guys. Each record company used its own variation...
- last but not least for a good rip, a lot of 78s are off centered. The person I mentioned earlier re-drills (kind of) the records before doing the rips.
I have virtually no experience with 78's other than remembering my mother putting them in her oven which warped them into interesting Christmas ornaments when spay painted with glitter paint.