Why can't digital sound as 'warm' as analog?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Erin1

Re: Why can't digital sound as 'warm' as analog?

Post by Erin1 » 06 Dec 2019 08:44

Digitally recording vinyl is a good way to preserve a record and get good sound if other available options don't satisfy.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Dec 2019 11:22

Erin1 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 08:44
Digitally recording vinyl is a good way to preserve a record and get good sound if other available options don't satisfy.
Yes; however, there's no need to digitize today with a subscription to Apple Music. For example, just the other day I discovered I have the Barbara Streisand LP "People" from 1964. I am overall impressed with how it sounds, except for one song, "How Does the Wine Taste", which has a few disturbing pops. Now, typically, I would digitize such an album and remove pops to enjoy with convenience from my iTunes Library; but, the digitization process is time consuming and does not always produce the desired results. At any rate, instead of digitizing, I just downloaded the album from Apple Music, which only took a few seconds and sounds better than my LP of the album. Since Apple Music only costs $9.99 monthly and allows unlimited downloading there's just no rhyme, or reason to digitize LPs any more.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Dec 2019 11:26

Erin1 wrote:
Yes; however, there's no need to digitize today with a subscription to Apple Music. For example, just the other day I discovered I have the Barbara Streisand LP "People" from 1964. I am overall impressed with how it sounds, except for one song, "How Does the Wine Taste", which has a few disturbing pops. Now, typically, I would digitize such an album and remove pops to enjoy with convenience from my iTunes Library; but, the digitization process is time consuming and does not always produce the desired results. At any rate, instead of digitizing, I just downloaded the album from Apple Music, which only took a few seconds. The download sounds better than my LP of the album and since Apple Music only costs $9.99 monthly for unlimited streaming and downloading there's just no rhyme, or reason to digitize LPs any more.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 06 Dec 2019 21:13

You know this time I actually agree with you , if you're just going to digitize your Vinyl at the pitifully low bit and sample rate you say you did you might just as well listen to your music on Apple's streaming service . :lol:

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Dec 2019 21:32

Shadowman82 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 21:13
You know this time I actually agree with you , if you're just going to digitize your Vinyl at the pitifully low bit and sample rate you say you did you might just as well listen to your music on Apple's streaming service . :lol:
What low bit and sample rate did I say? And what's the sample rate of digitization have to do with this conversation, since I am comparing the sound of my LPs directly to the sound of Apple Music downloads?

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 07 Dec 2019 09:47

I use Spotify Hifi. (320)
I like the sound.
Some music has a personally preferable mix/ mastering on vinyl. In which case recording the vinyl gets a personally preferable result.

I was not suggesting to digitise all vinyl.
Often the streaming file or CD sounds better.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 07 Dec 2019 11:59

Sterling1 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 11:26
Erin1 wrote:
Yes; however, there's no need to digitize today with a subscription to Apple Music.
Some of my LPs are not available digitally from any source. Definitely get your point. Just don't see it quite so absolute. At least not for me.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Dec 2019 13:00

NOYB wrote:
07 Dec 2019 11:59
Sterling1 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 11:26
Erin1 wrote:
Yes; however, there's no need to digitize today with a subscription to Apple Music.
Some of my LPs are not available digitally from any source. Definitely get your point. Just don't see it quite so absolute. At least not for me.
Yes, of course, so you digitize those LPs. So far, I have not had that need; but, I'm still hanging on to my two turntables for the fun of it.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 08 Dec 2019 00:21

I like Vinyl that come with a download code that let you download the album digitally for free . That way you can listen to the Vinyl for when you really want to listen to the album and have the digital version for convenience .

Ripvanvinyl
Canada

Post by Ripvanvinyl » 08 Dec 2019 02:54

NOYB wrote:
...Some of my LPs are not available digitally from any source.
I have some records I have never seen in another format too. I finally gave up on cassette tape because I could find all the music I had on it in other formats but vinyl? I have no hope of replacing some of my rarer records. This is quite aside from the fact that I like the sound and ritual of vinyl anyway.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 08 Dec 2019 03:13

Ripvanvinyl wrote:
08 Dec 2019 02:54
NOYB wrote:
...Some of my LPs are not available digitally from any source.
I have some records I have never seen in another format too. I finally gave up on cassette tape because I could find all the music I had on it in other formats but vinyl? I have no hope of replacing some of my rarer records. This is quite aside from the fact that I like the sound and ritual of vinyl anyway.
I prefer the convince of a digital music library; mobility, shuffle, set it playing background music and let it go, etc. I listen to music more than if having to change/flip a record every 20 minutes or so. To each their own. Just sharing my usage preferences too.

XJ99
United States of America

Post by XJ99 » 10 Jan 2020 22:53

Shadowman82 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 00:21
I like Vinyl that come with a download code that let you download the album digitally for free . That way you can listen to the Vinyl for when you really want to listen to the album and have the digital version for convenience .
One thing I notice when I DJ vinyl nights, is that the new
vinyl I play has to be turned up to achieve the same
volume as an early pressing. Just an observation..