digital vs. vinyl comparison

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Shadowman82

Re: digital vs. vinyl comparison

Post by Shadowman82 » 15 Sep 2018 18:11

The only SA-CD releases I have are hybrid SA-CD/CD discs of a few of the older Depeche Mode Albums but they stopped releasing SA-CDs as well , probably because it was not worth it . They do continue to release all of their releases on Vinyl though .

As for DVD-Audio I seem to recall that being even worse in terms of what's available on it and I see no sign that this is changing .

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 15 Sep 2018 19:58

What I don't quite understand is why among Audiophiles Vinyl is quite popular and selling relatively well and quite a bit of music old and new is being released on Vinyl , and yet SA-CD is not doing well at all .

I'm not saying Vinyl sounds bad and I support the argument that it sounds better than standard CD . You can't say that about SA-CD though and it's less of hassle than Vinyl so why in fact did Vinyl win among Audiophiles ?

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 16 Sep 2018 01:19

No ability to use a separate DAC on SA-CD. Which means no incremental upgrades as technology improves. At least for me.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 17 Sep 2018 01:08

There had to be more behind it though .

Hanuman
long player
long player

Post by Hanuman » 18 Sep 2018 07:30

Shadowman82 wrote:There had to be more behind it though .
I think the SACD launch played a part in the resurgence of vinyl at the high end. SACD has the same basic character as good CD replay while being usually free of the common faults leveled at CD, but it’s not a revolutionary upgrade. It showed without much further doubt to a lot of vinyl-lovers that digital delivery of any kind would not provide the kind of sound that they expect from the highest quality sources, rightly or wrongly.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 18 Sep 2018 09:25

I bought into SACD at its inception, purchasing a Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/CD/Stereo SACD Player. My first SACD disc was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue", which I also had on CD; and, comparison revealed I could not discern the SACD version sounding better, in any manner that better could be discerned. That revelation thwarted my interest in SACD. Now, today I have an OPPO UDP-205, which plays multi-channel SACDs; and, so far, multi-channel SACDs seem to sound much better than vinyl or CD. I recently played my original Allman Brothers "Eat A Peach" LP to compare it to the multi-channel SACD version. The vinyl is good but the SACD is spectacular. Comparing other works, the outcome has been the same, multi-channel SACD is a more life-like experience. And, this experience is available for peanuts in contrast to what a vinyl playback system costs these days. Just add a Sony Ultra Blu-ray Player to your Home Theatre system via HDMI and you're in business. Amazon has a huge collection of hybrid SACDs from about $9 in all genres. Some players have usb flash input, as well as usb DAC inputs. Gapless playback for classical music downloads is possible through the usb drive input.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 18 Sep 2018 22:47

Vinyl sounds different than any digital source that's true but I still think SA-CD sounds great . Maybe Vinyl also sells better because it has the huge cover artwork .

I think the Vinyl resurgence has more to do with people getting tired of downloads for actually sitting down and listening to music , because for that they suck .

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 19 Sep 2018 14:36

Shadowman82 wrote:Vinyl sounds different than any digital source that's true but I still think SA-CD sounds great . Maybe Vinyl also sells better because it has the huge cover artwork .

I think the Vinyl resurgence has more to do with people getting tired of downloads for actually sitting down and listening to music , because for that they suck .
There have been many words expended on the cause for vinyl's resurgence. Just a few days ago my 35 year old son said he wanted a turntable. This was out of the clear blue. Now, I'm in advertising and marketing business so I tend to want to understand things like the vinyl resurgence; but, I have only concluded the obvious: people want to play records, which is what my son said when I asked him why he wanted a turntable.

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 20 Sep 2018 12:31

IMO, if Sony had not locked down the ability to read the multi-channel tracks on a SA-CD to specific Sony certified (or licensed) players and if HDMI existed when the SA-CD was released, making it possible to decode directly on an AVR, the SA-CD would have become the most popular format ever.

Things selfish greed can do... :D

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 20 Sep 2018 23:09

Yeah the fact that DSD could not be passed digitally when SA-CD was released was a big problem . However I'm not sure it would have made the format huge if that had been different .

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 16 Oct 2019 10:21

I thought the high price of SACDs vs CD and the high price of the players was the major reason for the lack of popularity of SACD. In Australia an entry-level CD player was $300. An entry SACD player was about $1000 (in the 1990's). A CD cost about $25 and an SACD cost about $45.

Also most people couldn't hear a difference between CD and SACD.
Which isn't surprising because most people can't hear above 20khz.

Also, in the 1990's people had just spent money to change from vinyl to CD and almost nobody wanted to spend more money again to change formats for a questionable (mostly non existent. Marketing only) increase in quality.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 12 Nov 2019 13:23

Pauw wrote:
28 Aug 2018 18:24
I think that digital vis analogue boils down to this....they are two sides of the same coin...both have their strengths....both their weaknesses ......enjoy which ever sounds best to you.
+1

I listen to both and enjoy both.

Comparing a CD and a vinyl means very little unless you know something of the history of both. And, by history, I mean look at the matrix number. Not fullproof, or foolproof :lol: , but it should give you an idea of the protential quality of the vinyl you're listening to. Not all vinyl are equal. There are a number of details which will make one vinyl better than another.

Yes, you may have a early version of an album that sounds like crap anyway because it was pressed by a bad record factory... :evil:

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 13 Nov 2019 03:54

Let's just say I have never come across an album where I had to say the CD sounds better . I've heard SA-CD that sound as good or better than the Vinyl but never the CD .

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 13 Nov 2019 22:26

CD is just as good or better than vinyl in terms of sound quality.

Rumors on CD sounds just as good as a first pressing vinyl. I own both.

Maybe it's the mastering and engineering so blanket statements are not necessary unless one is horribly biased towards vinyl as I suspect many are on a site called 'Vinyl Engine'.

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 17 Nov 2019 14:31

Shadowman82 wrote:
13 Nov 2019 03:54
Let's just say I have never come across an album where I had to say the CD sounds better . I've heard SA-CD that sound as good or better than the Vinyl but never the CD .
I don't think I would completely agree with this despite being a chronic Vinyl lover with a collection of more than 50 carts...

FWIK, it is the mastering and target format that natters the most...

Mastering done in the 70s / 80s targeted for Vinyl will always sound better on Vinyl than on CDs and if you have heard CDs that were released in the early 90s when the loudness war didn't exist, you will understand why the CD took over...

If the loudness war and audio over-compression tactics didn't come in the mastering process, the CD will most likely still be the format of choice for newly mastered audio.