wanted k-tel records eney kind

Buy, sell or swap your old records
palmer500

wanted k-tel records eney kind

Post by palmer500 » 06 Jan 2016 22:58

yes im looking for eney kind of k-tel and ronko records ill buy them all in bulk or just as meny as you might have for sale if ok? fill free to contact me and let me know what you have thanks.

macnoob
long player
long player

Re: wanted k-tel records eney kind

Post by macnoob » 07 Jan 2016 02:12

Wow lol you must be the only one. The thrift shops here are filled with unmovable K-Tel.

Of course this town is the home of K-Tel!

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 08 Jan 2016 00:07

Yeah the thrift shops have a lot of them. Don't know why anyone would want them 'cause they don't sound very good. That's what happens when you put 12 songs on each side.
The interesting part of playing them is the variety of artists and the nostalgia aspect.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 08 Jan 2016 01:05

They are great for parties where you don't want to handle your equipment inebriated. Just stack 6 and come back in a couple hours to flip'em. I cut my teeth o K-Tel and its predecessor, Syndicate Records. They play on almost any cartridge. I only kept a few but have fond memories of my aunt buying and playing them to death. My family didn't do singles so K-Tel was a logical choice instead of multiple LP's with one or two hits. I was in my 30's before I realised they were truncated versions of songs. Some of the early Syndicate Records had alternate stereo mixes to the original LP's.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Jan 2016 08:13

One thing about them (and I have a few here myself) is that you would often find songs on them that you would not have heard otherwise...For instance, I found this on the "Stars" compilation...

This funky thing was on "Super Bad Is Back"...

On the "22 Explosive Hits" album, I came across these two...

(Yes, that's producer Giorgio Moroder on that one!)

So, they had their purpose in introducing me to songs I would not have heard otherwise...I later found out that this was a result of not being able to pay for the rights to some of the bigger name artists like Barbra Streisand, Bread, and The Beatles...And so, they licensed what artists they could, including many lesser-knowns...The cover artwork at times was pretty cool, too! And who can forget those commercials!

Remember when commercials like this were all over the airwaves??? :-k

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 10 Jan 2016 10:03

This is a wonderfully eccentric history of Pop K-Tel album with a rather odd mixture of tracks, but worth the price of admission for Dave & Ansell Collins* Double Barrel alone. got two copies of this double album
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Story-O ... se/3099790

http://cdn.discogs.com/uaKTWjb4h9F5eQrT ... 1.jpeg.jpg

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 15 Jan 2016 01:20

This is two funny, but my wife loves these records and has about 400 of them. We pick them up at goodwill, garage sales we paid .99 cents or less. But I do have to say that some don't sound that bad and are fun to listen to. Good luck with your search.

Richard_Hinds

Post by Richard_Hinds » 29 Sep 2016 14:40

I apologize in advance for this because I always hate it when I'm looking for something and someone says "oh I used to have it" or "I saw it (somewhere) but it's gone"; but I have to share this story. I'm a record collector & back in the 90s I saw an ad for a guy selling about 300 LPs. When I get there, they are ALL k-tel and Ronco records sold in late-night tv commercials! And they were in perfect shape, he said he played them once to copy them to cassette. Now I'm one of those guys who feels k-tel are inferior quality, so I didn't buy them, but I was sure impressed to see so many collected in one place. So I guess my point, Palmer, is that you're not alone! Keep up the search & good luck!

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 29 Sep 2016 16:07

I will say this about K-Tel records and other dynamically compressed discs of it's ilk, if your turntable and cartridge aren't set up right to extract small sounds from grooves you will be incapable of appreciating all that is actually encoded into them. And I say that from having quite a number of them myself. Part of the fun of having them is seeing how good you can actually make them sound. In fact, I understand there are actually people who do this with old 78s...

Maarkus

Post by Maarkus » 12 Feb 2017 10:17

Hi, I work with a gentleman who has a second-hand record stall, King's Square Entertainment - were are on Facebook. I am sure he has many of the K-Tel series. I can have a look next week and we can look at arranging a price and I can post photos of the merch available. if you are interested. By the way we are in the UK. Happy hunting!

champco

Post by champco » 10 Sep 2017 04:02

Poo Poo Poo

I have a couple boxes of garage sale finds I have been playing. It's a great experience having been spinning for more then 50 years.
I found two Ktel in the box "Hit Explosions" and " The Rock Album". Damn glad to have it in my addition.
So to the OP and those who POO Poo him.
He is ahead of his time. To be true I did not notice a significant difference in quality but will listen again..TT is a Dual 601 with factory Shur V15type III tracking at 1 gram.
Ktel is what I remember sold late night and have never bought one but in this hobbie it has value. Join in the fun....

draganm

Post by draganm » 30 Mar 2018 05:15

I have one here in original shrink, it's opened but NM-NM condition called Super Star Collection Volume1 and yeah, it's got 9 songs per side, LOL . Didn't even know that was possible with vinyl. :D

Mustangsue

Post by Mustangsue » 18 Sep 2018 01:47

They're cool to listen too. We still have them mint too.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 05 Jan 2019 15:12

My first exposure to K-Tel records was when I was a little kid, thumbing through my mom's LP collection. She bought a few K-Tel records in the 1970s. One was a collection of big disco hits. I put it on the turntable and ended up really enjoying it!

The audio quality isn't that bad. I'd say it's no worse than most of the commercially available cassette tapes I grew up with.

Mustangsue

Post by Mustangsue » 23 Jan 2019 18:11

BMRR wrote:
05 Jan 2019 15:12
My first exposure to K-Tel records was when I was a little kid, thumbing through my mom's LP collection. She bought a few K-Tel records in the 1970s. One was a collection of big disco hits. I put it on the turntable and ended up really enjoying it!

The audio quality isn't that bad. I'd say it's no worse than most of the commercially available cassette tapes I grew up with.

Yes some of mine aren't that bad!