I finished with the lifter rehab. Here is how it turned out, and some observations I made. I fretted about the grease to use in it, didn't want to take time to wait for an online order nor did I want to overspend for that. After trying model RR grease (a plastic friendly lithium based grease I think) (arm fell like a rock) I tried standard automotive lithium grease (kinda similar ) and the result was the same. I went to a bike store and looked at what they had (10 bucks for a tube of this or that) I walked down the plumbing aisle of the big hardware store here and recognized something I have in my toolbox... plumber's pipe thread grease, clear silicone based... they sell little two inch tubs of it for a couple bucks. I had some at home, forgot I had it.
Took the TT apart for the upteenth time and removed the rock-smashing lifter, cleaned it up once again and reloaded it with this silicone stuff, which feels like good quality grease you could use on anything. The arm drops like a feather now, and doesn't enter orbit when I press UP. i.e., it works. The viscosity seems to be everything as it relates to this problem. I've included links to pics of how this particular one is positioned.
Overall bottom viewhttp://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243 ... amperc.jpg
The small tub of silicone greasehttp://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243 ... amperd.jpg
shaft has been pulled, grease loaded around the shaft, and shaft reinsertedhttp://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243 ... ampera.jpg
Deck view. Arm lifts and drops slowly and gently now. http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243 ... opdeck.jpg
Compared with some that I've seen described, this one's easy to get to. For as many times as I had to try different variations, I'm glad I didn't have to mess with the tonearm, other than to jockey it around to remove the lifter rest each time. -- Don